Help! Painted Turtle Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarione

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi -

I need help determining the correct course of action regarding the well-being of 4 eastern painted turtles.

For several years now a female turtle has laid eggs in my front yard which lies about 50 yards from my house, through thick woods. In September, i found a nest disturbed (there was one dead one) or the brood simply hatched and started to come out of the nest.
I probably did the wrong thing, but I interfered with these wild animals and took the turtles in.
Looking back, I would have simply brought them to the pond and let them go then.
But, we got all of the correct lights and food and the turtles have been with us over the winter and spring. We have fed them live food and they eat is with appetite, and we do not interact with the turtles other than changing the tanks.
Can we release them, will they thrive?
I am worried now about releasing them to the pond where they are from, as it is very small - like 1/8 of an acre and I do not think it would have enough of a food supply for 4 turtles.
There is a shallow (5 feet max. ) deep lake near by that I thought about releasing them to as the environment may be more suitable.
This is Northern Wisconsin area, so the lakes are still sort of cold.
I have the turtles at 72 degrees right now.
Can I release them to the lake near the pond where they came from or will they struggle to return to their "home pond"?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you, Skarione

We would like to release these turtles no

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a tough one. Because you intervened, and have provided food, they might not no how to forage on their own. Then again, they are young enough that they probably could adapt. I'm not a water turtle person, but if it were me, I would search for a wildlife rescue or rehab and turn the turtles over to them. They will do the right thing.

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I wouldn't take a chance, The only way I would ever think about it would be if I had no other turtles and I knew exactly where they came from, and I would put them right back in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.