Kobe's home gets a Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
So today, I decided to revamp Kobe's enclosure. FOr those who haven't seen previous posts/threads, this is a 135 gallon tank that someone gave to me a few yrs ago. It measures 36" x 42" and 22" high. I figure it's a decent start for Kobe for the next year or so until he outgrows it.

I've been using only cypress mulch, but someone suggested using some topsoil to increase humidity. There also some cardboard panels lining the sides, but I decided to remove those. Kobe seems to be pretty well established that I don't think he's gonna be too bothered with being able to see out, and now everyone in the house can see him better as well. The added bonus is that I opened up a little more space, as I was using quite a few rocks to hold the cardboard in place.

You may notice in the photos that there is something missing: a water dish! Rest assured, he does have one. It was still in the sink, waiting to be cleaned, and I realized after taking all these photos that it was absent. But yes, he does have a water dish, as well as a nice big flat piece of slate to eat off of.

KobeNewSetUp_1.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_2.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_3.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_4.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_5.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_6.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_7.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_8.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_9.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_10.jpg

His lunch was delayed because of the overhaul. He actually was going around nibbling pieces of hay, letting me know he was definitely hungry. I had to get a couple shots of him eating. The first shot he was completely oblivious. Then he bent his head down, so I moved around to his front for a better shot. He looked up and paused in mid-munch. I snapped the shot, and told him he could resume his meal. After a few moments of pondering the weird silver flashing cyclops, he did!

KobeNewSetUp_11.jpg

KobeNewSetUp_12.jpg

...about an hour after being put in, he decides to explore the most difficult point in the habitat. This tank used to be an aquarium, and that box inset you see was a sump. I envision him getting stuck in that corner, so I tried to block it off with a large rock. He obviously was undeterred. The good thing was that he didn't have any trouble getting out of that position! But I do plan to remedy that scenario.

KobeNewSetUp_13.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It looks very good and he seems to be very happy with the changes...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very nice job !! he is adorable by the way :D and I sure am glad you explained the sump pump housing...lol that was making me crazy trying to figure out what that was... :p:p

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
dmarcus said:
It looks very good and he seems to be very happy with the changes...

Thanks. Yeah, he was zooming around for hours, trying to figure it all out. I mean, he did not sit still for probably 2 hours straight. It obviously didn't affect his appetite, so I'm not worried.

And the coolest part was that my Powersun came in the mail today! I just ordered it off Amazon like, 2 days ago and they said it was gonna be next week before it got here. I was pretty excited to go ahead and plug into the lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.