Awesome new home

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Really good job at constructing Mark’s enclosures. Looks great. That said, I’m not too fond of the Aluminum foil look/feel aspect of your “humid hide”. Your tort might be afraid of the reflections or feel of it too.
I hadn’t thought about that and what a great idea! I will try to get a hide box more appropriate or trying to build one myself which will be humorous but I now have an electric drill so I should be able to do it as I already owned a saw. Definitely the little guy shines the light box so there’s clearly something bothering him and I hadn’t thought about the reflective nature of the foil.
Maybe try something like Tom suggests. Find appropriate size, cut a small entrance.
View attachment 297742

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Oops stuck my reply right in the middle of the thing I’m replying to, so sorry about that everyone. Obviously I missed that my leopard doesn’t like foil mirrors.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
So I go out this weekend and I get him this perfect hide that he should be delighted with and I have positioned it in several different ways and all I’ve gotten is him staring at the side of the hide like it was the second most horrifying thing he ever saw other than his foil wrapped disco hide that I removed. I thought it would be better to have the opening facing towards the side but he ignored it and I just turned it in put it facing towards the front and he’s just staring at it and I think that probably I’m gonna go with the plan that he will be nice and healthy living under the plants but leave the hide in there just in case he changes his mind. He’s being more snarky about this hide than he was about starting new food. Although he still too young I’m fairly sure it’s a male and I have been starting to call him “he who shell not be named” or Mr. Snarky or Wally as he is emptying my wallet. I am open to suggestions. And he is still just staring at the box and has been doing so for about a half an hour now.

Attachments

• DBF8102D-EE34-45B4-BDBD-B9448E191CDA.jpeg
    DBF8102D-EE34-45B4-BDBD-B9448E191CDA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • C90A6F3A-C67D-4FD2-9A6C-263D2538512B.jpeg
    C90A6F3A-C67D-4FD2-9A6C-263D2538512B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • BF0D60AF-B1BD-414E-9B3F-C8C4F20ED67C.jpeg
    BF0D60AF-B1BD-414E-9B3F-C8C4F20ED67C.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 19

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I wonder if he sees his reflection in the hide, and that’s what he’s looking at?! I wouldn’t give up on it just yet. once he realizes it’s safe he will likely check it out more. I wonder if you lift it up and show him the inside, or simply just place him inside of it so he knows what it’s about.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Well, it only took 6 hours of staring at the hide box but Mr Tort (new temp name) went in!! And came out. And went in. Repeat 4 more times. And stayed in to settle for the night. ?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Well it’s been an interesting day. He abandoned the hide box again and is back to staring at it. I’m thinking about removing it and just putting in more plants. Other than hating the hide box Mr. Tort loves his new enclosure and he is tasting all the different plants. He’s become particularly enamored with chewing on the violets.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Exciting news for me. GrumpyTort has officially passed 300 grams. Not bad for a guy who was stuck between 45-50 for over 3 months. He still hates his hide and I still don’t really have a name. I think he’s a male. He still too young but he starting to get an indentation in his tails fairly long. His show is smoothing out so nicely since I got the enclosure for Mark. For the first time in my life I haven’t killed plants as well. It breaks my heart when people get angry when they get advice on the forum because I wouldn’t have a leopard right now had I not listen to what people had to say.

Attachments

• 818AF98F-BFE6-4B36-8B05-7B89BF8F6692.jpeg
    818AF98F-BFE6-4B36-8B05-7B89BF8F6692.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 61980F16-355B-4C71-B811-C7A7B5D63D63.jpeg
    61980F16-355B-4C71-B811-C7A7B5D63D63.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Shell not show. Show and shell not show and tell? My phone hates me too. I’m not going to bother to correct all of the other mistakes when I dictated into the phone because I think you get the point.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Exciting news for me. GrumpyTort has officially passed 300 grams. Not bad for a guy who was stuck between 45-50 for over 3 months. He still hates his hide and I still don’t really have a name. I think he’s a male. He still too young but he starting to get an indentation in his tails fairly long. His show is smoothing out so nicely since I got the enclosure for Mark. For the first time in my life I haven’t killed plants as well. It breaks my heart when people get angry when they get advice on the forum because I wouldn’t have a leopard right now had I not listen to what people had to say.
So pretty! ?
And I completely agree. I'm so thankful for all of you guys. People get offended when they are told they 'messed up'. I wanted to learn, not be right all the time. Or assume I was atleast lol. I was so happy I could actually get information that made sense and it came from people who LOVED these animals. You guys make this place amazing!

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Shell not show. Show and shell not show and tell? My phone hates me too. I’m not going to bother to correct all of the other mistakes when I dictated into the phone because I think you get the point.
Your enclosure is great! What plants do you have? I have a Leo tort also so I'd like to find plants that are Leo-friendly for his enclosure. :)

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
So I go out this weekend and I get him this perfect hide that he should be delighted with and I have positioned it in several different ways and all I’ve gotten is him staring at the side of the hide like it was the second most horrifying thing he ever saw other than his foil wrapped disco hide that I removed. I thought it would be better to have the opening facing towards the side but he ignored it and I just turned it in put it facing towards the front and he’s just staring at it and I think that probably I’m gonna go with the plan that he will be nice and healthy living under the plants but leave the hide in there just in case he changes his mind. He’s being more snarky about this hide than he was about starting new food. Although he still too young I’m fairly sure it’s a male and I have been starting to call him “he who shell not be named” or Mr. Snarky or Wally as he is emptying my wallet. I am open to suggestions. And he is still just staring at the box and has been doing so for about a half an hour now.
I like Mr. Snarky!
Mine doesn't use his hide either and the hide looks just like yours and toms ? so sad....

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Your enclosure is great! What plants do you have? I have a Leo tort also so I'd like to find plants that are Leo-friendly for his enclosure. :)
Spider plant, violets, pothos, lettuces, and so forth. I get live organic vegetables and lettuce is either from the grocery store with the route still attached word from the organic farm near me and the tortoise loves it