Kenyan Sand Boa Enclosure Size Question

Is a 50 gallon tank too big for a Kenyan Sand Boa?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I was told that a Kenyan Sand Boa needed a 20L tank but that "bigger was better". Would a 50gallon tank be too big do you think?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest a 30l (36x18x12) or 40l (36x18x16) instead as they both have a larger footprint than a 50. The 50 is higher and narrower then either of these and a sand boa will not use the height as they are a burrowing snake.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I would say that is tremendously large for one KSB. Sandboamorphs.com suggest a 10-gal for males and 15-20 gal for females. Remember these are small snakes that spend most of their time under the substrate. Somewhat like ball pythons, they prefer tight, snug quarters to wide open spaces.

Whether its 50 gals or 15 gals, it will appear to be an empty tank because your snake will spend most of its time underneath whatever substrate you use.

poison

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
I would say that is tremendously large for one KSB. Sandboamorphs.com suggest a 10-gal for males and 15-20 gal for females. Remember these are small snakes that spend most of their time under the substrate. Somewhat like ball pythons, they prefer tight, snug quarters to wide open spaces.

Whether its 50 gals or 15 gals, it will appear to be an empty tank because your snake will spend most of its time underneath whatever substrate you use.

What if you clutter it up? Lots of hides ,leaf liter and bark?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I house my sand boa in a 10 gallon turned on its side. I had him in a 3'x2' but it appeared to stress him a bit. He seems to be doing much better in the smaller enclosure. In both cages, I never saw much more of him than the tip of his nose poking out of the substrate.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
poison said:
StudentoftheReptile said:

What if you clutter it up? Lots of hides ,leaf liter and bark?

Then you will have a very large tank filled with lots of hides, leaf litter and bark. People will always wonder what the heck is in there, because they will never see the snake. I can almost guarantee, it will pick one favorite area of this huge enclosure, and burrow all the way down to the glass.

As long as it sheds and eats fine, then more power to you...but don't expect a KSB to be a great display snake.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I wouldn't go any larger than 20g. They don't move around much! Good luck!

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Just to clarify, I do not own a Kenyan Sand Boa right now, I do however plan on getting one in a year or so and want to know everything that I can about them. I plan on getting a female. That would make a 10 gallon too small, wouldn't it? Also, I don't want a display snake. I want a snake that likes to be occasionally handled (as I like to play with my pets for awhile every other day or so) and beyond that wherever it goes is fine with me. I do not regularly show my animals to anyone and I keep my pets as a personal happiness type thing and not as a bragging-rights and showing-off type thing. As long as I know that it's healthy I don't care if it is always buried lol.

jstec

5 Year Member
Mine lives in a ten gallon and spends 80% of the time under the bedding only coming out on nights that he is fed on a 50 gallon would work but be unneeded for one btw I'd make sure to always feed outside of their enclosure to avoid impaction

Attachments

• image-1248182652.png
    image-1248182652.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I only say it's to big in terms of cost...but if you have no problem banking a 50g...then go for it! I would highly recommend multiple hides though.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If it were me, I would go with the 20 long as was suggested. Snakes only need so much space. And some even like smaller spaces. IME it's turtles, tortoises, and lizards that really need and want lots of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.