Baby Kenyan Sand Boa Not Eating

Oogway the russian tort

I recently purchased a baby anery Kenyan sand boa last Sunday. I bought some frozen pinkies to try to feed but the snake will simply just look at it and lick it I try to enclose it with a pinkie for 30min but the same thing would happen. I highly doubt the snake might be in shed since the colors aren't cloudy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I recently purchased a baby anery Kenyan sand boa last Sunday. I bought some frozen pinkies to try to feed but the snake will simply just look at it and lick it I try to enclose it with a pinkie for 30min but the same thing would happen. I highly doubt the snake might be in shed since the colors aren't cloudy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have had a few Red Tail Boas, ball pythons, in an albino Burmese python. I have never owned a sand boa, but I have had a couple picky eaters in the past. I don't know if this will help or not, but seem like some of my snakes really wanted to sense the body heat of their food so I would always thaw the mice or rats and really warm water. I would also use a pair of feeding tongs and wiggle it around to stimulate movement. He might just be getting used to his new surroundings as well.

Oogway the russian tort

I have had a few Red Tail Boas, ball pythons, in an albino Burmese python. I have never owned a sand boa, but I have had a couple picky eaters in the past. I don't know if this will help or not, but seem like some of my snakes really wanted to sense the body heat of their food so I would always thaw the mice or rats and really warm water. I would also use a pair of feeding tongs and wiggle it around to stimulate movement. He might just be getting used to his new surroundings as well.
Ok ty for the suggestio will try to do that

Oogway the russian tort

I tries to feed her agian but she wouldnt budge she would just slither off ignoring the pinkie i tried to wiggle it aroind to make ot look really but like last time she ignored it. Its been about almost 2weeks now and hasn't eaten i worried any sort of help is appreciated

Oogway the russian tort

Does she look like shes in shed cuz i dont know this is my first snake

Attachments

• 15112981012121320443593.jpg
    15112981012121320443593.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 25

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Does she look like shes in shed cuz i dont know this is my first snake
Usually before a shed their eyes will Cloud up. That's how I can always tell mine we're getting ready to shed. They have what I believe is called an eye scale. They will actually shed the skin right off their eye. Are your snakes eyes cloudy?

Oogway the russian tort

Usually before a shed their eyes will Cloud up. That's how I can always tell mine we're getting ready to shed. They have what I believe is called an eye scale. They will actually shed the skin right off their eye. Are your snakes eyes cloudy?
no so I'm guessing she is not in shed

Oogway the russian tort

should I try to brain the pinky and leave it in a deli cup over night cause I was trying to find solutions or trying to scent the pinky with yolk

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I've been doing separate container
That is good. You may have already have tried this so bear with me I am only trying to offer suggestions. Have you tried to feed it and a small paper bag. Some snakes are just shy. That is the only way my ball python would ever eat. I have never owned that species of snake, but I did Google it and I found they can be somewhat picky. And as undesirable as it may be they will often prefer live pinkies

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
My Kenyan Sand Boa won't eat unless I 'brain' her dinner. This involves essentially sticking something sharp through its head, which will increase the scent and hopefully the snake's feeding instinct!

Oogway the russian tort

My Kenyan Sand Boa won't eat unless I 'brain' her dinner. This involves essentially sticking something sharp through its head, which will increase the scent and hopefully the snake's feeding instinct!
I'm gonna try that in 4 days because I don't want to stress her out

Oogway the russian tort

Good news i did the braining and left it in a deli cup in a dark room for about 7hours. I saw the pinkie half eaten im not sure if she couldn't eat it all or what but i just want to know if its a good thing or a bad thing. Im just happy she ate something20171122_213225.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Good news i did the braining and left it in a deli cup in a dark room for about 7hours. I saw the pinkie half eaten im not sure if she couldn't eat it all or what but i just want to know if its a good thing or a bad thing. Im just happy she ate somethingView attachment 223586
I think it is a definite plus she got some food in her. Happy she ate something for you, and wish you the best.

Oogway the russian tort

alrighty I'm scared that Otis isn't eating and hasn't eaten ever since I posted that she ate half a pinkie I did everything I did last time and I'm pretty sure she isn't going through shed is there anything else I could try to do

Jay Bagley

Michigan
alrighty I'm scared that Otis isn't eating and hasn't eaten ever since I posted that she ate half a pinkie I did everything I did last time and I'm pretty sure she isn't going through shed is there anything else I could try to do
The only thing I can think of is try a live pinky if u can get one, sorry you are going through this.