Just Finished Outdoor Enclosure for 2 Russians and 1 Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
I'm waiting for the next snow storm to pass in a couple of days to plant grass, weeds, flowers, and many succulents!! Tell me what you think please :)

All three torts exploring :) P4065206.JPG
Uncovered P4065208.JPG
And covered to keep predators out P4065210.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks pretty good. When you get the plants in there, will look great. I would maybe sink the water dishes a little more. Also, I know you were out with them and the dog. However, you do know that the dog should never, ever be out there unsupervised. He/she would be able to get to them very easily and we have heard enough dog attacks tortoise horror stories.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
wellington said:
Looks pretty good. When you get the plants in there, will look great. I would maybe sink the water dishes a little more. Also, I know you were out with them and the dog. However, you do know that the dog should never, ever be out there unsupervised. He/she would be able to get to them very easily and we have heard enough dog attacks tortoise horror stories.

Yup I do know about the dogs and he (the dog) actually has to be supervised outdoors because he has severe epilepsy! Thanks for your concern! I cannot wait to plant in there, it will look much better and I'm sure the torts will just love everything I have planned for them!! And I will take care of the water dish :)

contessa20

5 Year Member
Nice looking set-up. I love the way you did the cover. What is it called? I've been trying to come up with something simple for my Russian's outdoor enclosure and I think I may try this. Last summer my husband built a framed top but it just didn't lay right.

Minority1

5 Year Member
agreed nice setup. simple and efficient. can't ask for nothing more.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Looks good, I had planted mine with seeds and I covered with plastic today hopefully to protect the little seeds
with this cold snap coming

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
contessa20 said:
Nice looking set-up. I love the way you did the cover. What is it called? I've been trying to come up with something simple for my Russian's outdoor enclosure and I think I may try this. Last summer my husband built a framed top but it just didn't lay right.

The cover is just a green plastic fencing you would use for like garden fencing and I zip-tied them together to make one big cover and then we put four hooks on 3 sides and stapled one side completely down. I'm going to see how well it works, I'm worried about it being a pain in the butt to quickly get in there to access my torts but we'll see how it works. But I'm also worried about the damage it might take on with the sun this summer, it might have to be replaced yearly for cracking and other damage. I'm hoping it will do well, I'll keep you posted.

theelectraco said:
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the wood cost you?

It was 12 dollars for one 1"X10" post and I got five of them, so around 60 bucks. It was the cheapest I found at Home Depot for the size I was looking for. But with everything, the mulch, the dirt, the wood, the plywood, grass seed, flowers, and succulents I only spent about 140 dollars. It was a lot cheaper than I expected everything to be especially with mulch and soil.

sueb4653 said:
Looks good, I had planted mine with seeds and I covered with plastic today hopefully to protect the little seeds
with this cold snap coming

Good thinkin! I was a bit nervous to plant mine before the storm comes just because I don't have the greatest of green thumbs and with my luck it wouldn't have taken. Stay warm in the storm, here in denver we're suppose to get over 12 inches :( Me and my torts were loving the nice weather and getting out almost everyday :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!!! I really hope it works out especially with my Russians but time will only tell! What I find absolutely amazing is that in less than one week since I've had my little Greek is that he has already grown!! My husband and I built him his own tunnel when we first got him last Tuesday and by last night (Sunday night) he already out grew it!! It's amazing what proper care will do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.