Outdoor enclosure

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I've always thought that an outdoor enclosure was an amazing idea for my Russian tortoise and right now seems like a good idea to plan it and build it during the spring. I'm thinking of a 8 x 4 outdoor enclosure, with a substrate consisting of coco peat and orchid bark, weeds and plants for my tortoise to naturally graze on, and many places for shade. Just in case though, I have an indoor enclosure at the ready in case of a storm. However I have a few questions:
  1. how do y'all escape proof the enclosure, I was thinking of using some kind of mesh on the bottom of the enclosure to prevent her from escaping while providing enough space for my tortoise to dig.
  2. any worries about predators? I've seen many people online have outdoor enclosures without any kind of mesh on top to prevent predators.
  3. should I leave my tortoise outside when it rains?
  4. Do I need a heating night box if I'm keeping my tortoise outside for the majority of summer and spring?
  5. Best wood for outdoor enclosures?
Any other advice can be helpful! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A 4x8 is the minimum for a Russian both indoors or out. Go bigger if you can. They cover a lot of ground in the wild
I just laid a old puppy play pen fencing on the ground and let the natural weeds and grass grow over it. I didn't add extra dirt on top, but I did give one area that was deeper he could dig in if he wanted. He likes his hide better.
I don't cover mine from predators but make sure he is in his hide every night so predators can't get him. He stays out day and night, rain or shine as soon as it's warm enough in April or May and then goes into his winter home around October.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
A 4x8 is the minimum for a Russian both indoors or out. Go bigger if you can. They cover a lot of ground in the wild
I just laid a old puppy play pen fencing on the ground and let the natural weeds and grass grow over it. I didn't add extra dirt on top, but I did give one area that was deeper he could dig in if he wanted. He likes his hide better.
I don't cover mine from predators but make sure he is in his hide every night so predators can't get him. He stays out day and night, rain or shine as soon as it's warm enough in April or May and then goes into his winter home around October.
Do the tortoise predators only attack during the night?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do the tortoise predators only attack during the night?
Depending on the type of predators. Day or night.
What kinds of animals have you seen outside?
My Redfoot are outside 24/7 and predators aren't an issue.
Location matters

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Birds, like hawks, eagles, falcons, maybe ravens or crows and dogs are usually the only day predators. Night time would be coons, fox, coyote. All of course depending on what you have in your area.
Most of the birds would bother hatching size tortoises.
I have all the above except eagles and dogs can't get in my yard. I have never had a problem.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Depending on the type of predators. Day or night.
What kinds of animals have you seen outside?
My Redfoot are outside 24/7 and predators aren't an issue.
Location matters
I’ve seen deers, squrriels, bats, vultures, hawks, crows, and I’ve heard of raccoons rummaging through trash. Oh, foxes… I forgot about them.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Birds, like hawks, eagles, falcons, maybe ravens or crows and dogs are usually the only day predators. Night time would be coons, fox, coyote. All of course depending on what you have in your area.
Most of the birds would bother hatching size tortoises.
I have all the above except eagles and dogs can't get in my yard. I have never had a problem.
I’ve heard of people using fishing ropes to protect their tortoises against the hawks and birds,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've always thought that an outdoor enclosure was an amazing idea for my Russian tortoise and right now seems like a good idea to plan it and build it during the spring. I'm thinking of a 8 x 4 outdoor enclosure, with a substrate consisting of coco peat and orchid bark, weeds and plants for my tortoise to naturally graze on, and many places for shade. Just in case though, I have an indoor enclosure at the ready in case of a storm. However I have a few questions:
  1. how do y'all escape proof the enclosure, I was thinking of using some kind of mesh on the bottom of the enclosure to prevent her from escaping while providing enough space for my tortoise to dig.
  2. any worries about predators? I've seen many people online have outdoor enclosures without any kind of mesh on top to prevent predators.
  3. should I leave my tortoise outside when it rains?
  4. Do I need a heating night box if I'm keeping my tortoise outside for the majority of summer and spring?
  5. Best wood for outdoor enclosures?
Any other advice can be helpful! Thanks!
4x8 is too small for outside. Go BIG!

You don't need substrate outside. Just use the ground.

1. Make it a cage. Top to bottom. Russians are climbers and escape artists.
2. Yes. The cage will protect him from predators. Dogs are the worst. They kill more tortoises than all other predators combined and tripled.
3. There should be a temperature controlled shelter attached to the cage. The tortoise can retreat into that on rainy or cold days.
4. Yes. The tortoise needs to sleep in it every night to protect it.
5. I use plywood and 2x4s from Home Depot. I prime and paint my boxes and they last for a decade or more.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
4x8 is too small for outside. Go BIG!

You don't need substrate outside. Just use the ground.

1. Make it a cage. Top to bottom. Russians are climbers and escape artists.
2. Yes. The cage will protect him from predators. Dogs are the worst. They kill more tortoises than all other predators combined and tripled.
3. There should be a temperature controlled shelter attached to the cage. The tortoise can retreat into that on rainy or cold days.
4. Yes. The tortoise needs to sleep in it every night to protect it.
5. I use plywood and 2x4s from Home Depot. I prime and paint my boxes and they last for a decade or more.
I have more room to go bigger so I’ll try to go bigger, my neighbors do have dogs and one of them always comes out of their yard so I’ll have to keep in mind of that. By plywood, I checked homedepot and there were multiple kinds? Which one did you use? What is the best prime and paint?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have more room to go bigger so I’ll try to go bigger, my neighbors do have dogs and one of them always comes out of their yard so I’ll have to keep in mind of that. By plywood, I checked homedepot and there were multiple kinds? Which one did you use? What is the best prime and paint?
I just use regular plywood. You don't need the high grade more expensive stuff that is already sanded and made for finish work.

I don't know what is "best" because I have not done side-by-side comparisons, but I have had good results using Killz 2 primer and Behr exterior paint from Home Depot. Since I am doing the primer, I usually go with the cheaper grades of paint. Some of the paint says "primer and paint", and I've been tempted to skip the primer and give that a go, but I haven't tried that yet.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I just use regular plywood. You don't need the high grade more expensive stuff that is already sanded and made for finish work.

I don't know what is "best" because I have not done side-by-side comparisons, but I have had good results using Killz 2 primer and Behr exterior paint from Home Depot. Since I am doing the primer, I usually go with the cheaper grades of paint. Some of the paint says "primer and paint", and I've been tempted to skip the primer and give that a go, but I haven't tried that yet.
Sorry, I’m just so confused. I checked on Home Depot and Lowe’s and when I search for plywood, the first thing that comes up is OSB, is OSB plywood the regular plywood.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry, I’m just so confused. I checked on Home Depot and Lowe’s and when I search for plywood, the first thing that comes up is OSB, is OSB plywood the regular plywood.
No. OSB is particle board. Its chips of wood compressed and held together with glue. You don't want that. You want regular plywood.

Like this:

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
No. OSB is particle board. Its chips of wood compressed and held together with glue. You don't want that. You want regular plywood.

Like this:
Ok, thank you

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
I have another few question, how do yall stop your tortoises from digging out? I’m not really concerned about my tortoise climbing out since I’m going to use some mesh, but my tortoise loves to dig and he would probably dig a lot. I was thinking of digging at least 2 feet down and placing a 4 feet high enclosure with mesh on the bottom and top but I find that hard work, what do yall think? Also I’m currently designing the enclosure on procreate and my budget would be 150 dollars.
Btw, I find this problem in tortoise forum whenever I go on a mobile device and an ad video pops up, it instantly returns me back to the start I was scrolling from… is there a way to stop this from occurring

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Another question, I just told my mom the plan but she said what use will the primer do? And I realized that I didn’t know the answer to that too. So what does primer do?