Just a little info from personal experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlewinston

5 Year Member
I am current raising my second sulcata hatchling, i bought them both from the same pet store. i know this is not the best place to get them but its the only one around my location. The first one i bought ended up passing away from what i believe to be dehydration. The pet store gave me no real good info on my new little baby so i came home and tried doing so research, which lead to a lot of confusion. So this is what i do to keep my new little baby happy and healthy. I use pea gravel as bedding, its easy to clean helps to hold moisture and he can burrow in it. I tried using the coco coir but he didn't seem to like it. I use a repti-fogger to help keep the humidity up at the proper levels and also spray it down with a spray bottle. I have put a few accessories in his habitat such as some rocks for him to climb on but nothing he can flip himself over on. I keep the temps between 85 and 105, he likes it when its warmer hes more active, and the humidity I try to keep around 60 to 65. These were all things the pet store did not tell me. I found all this out at the Vet when I had to take my first little baby in there. He copied pages out of his medical book so i could take them home with me.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I would not recommend using pea gravel. Impaction from ingesting it can be fatal. There are other,more suitable substrates out there. Cypress mulch is great,as well as soil. Tom has a great thread on raising sulcata babies.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Gratz on the new sully! I recommend checking out Tom too. He is a REALLY cool guy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Congrats on your new little one :D I am sorry about your loss on your first little one....

If it were me, I would avoid using the pee gravel, it is not sufficient for digging into for your little one to snuggle in. However, that is simply my opinion. I understand that your vet gave you the pages from their book, however, I would keep an open opinion on what substrates are a better choice, IMHO.

I would bring the hottest temp side down to like 95-100ish, again, my opinion. Yes he will be active in the warmer temps but make certain that his active is not mistaken for frantic looking for a bit cooler spot, you know what I mean? :D

I would love love love to see pics :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Good luck with you new little Sully. If you spend some time here on the forum you'll find lots of information. It's definitely worth poking around a bit. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sadly, most of the time, vets have read the same old tortoise books that we have all read. The info is just plain wrong. I did it that way for 20 years and had nothing but failure. In the last few years I have finally learned how to do it right.

Here are a couple of care sheets to help you out.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1auufmdl9
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1auufmdl9

I'd also recommend getting a third OR housing them separately. Pairs are often problematic.

Here's one more thread that covers tortoise basics:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1auufmdl9

There are lots of good people here, and we are happy to help.

littlewinston

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your input guys. I have still been using the pea gravel and have had no problems so far, I did put some coco coir around the water bowl and in the hide so he can dig. He digs everywhere tho lol even in the pea gravel. I did just get a new addition I will try to post some pics of them soon. She looks so much different than my first one, shell color, shape, and has an extra spot on her shell.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Spot? Spots on a Sulcata? Sure its not a Leopard?

I'm with everyone else... ditch the pea gravel. I, personally use Organic Top Soil w/compost, topped with Sporgium Moss (sp).

littlewinston

5 Year Member
Yeah I'm sure I know there is a different more proper word but I can never remember it. I just posted a pic of them on here so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

M

Maggie Cummings

The problem with pea gravel is that you don't know the tort is having a problem until it is either very sick or dead. Why not take the experience of those of us who have been thru that before and know the correct thing to do? You already had one dead baby, why not listen to those of us older people and take advantage of our experience? Pea gravel is not good stuff...I use cypress mulch...it holds humidity and the tortoises like it...

littlewinston

5 Year Member
My one that had passed away was not from the pea gravel it was from top soil and sand mixture. She had gotten dehydrated and I couldn't save her. I'm actually in the process of changing the bedding this was an older post when I was still very new to this all. I was just making the comment that I have had no problems with the pea gravel.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I also would suggest ditching the pea gravel, often times a baby will try and eat the substrate it is on, and you want something that will pass easily, gravel could end up impacting in it.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
littlewinston said:
My one that had passed away was not from the pea gravel it was from top soil and sand mixture. She had gotten dehydrated and I couldn't save her. I'm actually in the process of changing the bedding this was an older post when I was still very new to this all. I was just making the comment that I have had no problems with the pea gravel.

The OP is only 4 months old, I think it's safe to say that you are still very new at this! :p
I'm glad to hear that your sullies are doing well.

littlewinston

5 Year Member
I'm not denying that I'm new but i wouldn't say very new lol i know a lot of people have more experience than me but i do a lot of research and keep a close eye on my babies. But thank you everyone for the concern.

EKLC

5 Year Member
is the gravel too big for him to eat? Otherwise, I'd say its way too risky. Torts are not very precise eaters

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok Everybody! Enough already!!!

This is an old thread and littlewinston is in the process of changing out their substrate. They understand that pea gravel isn't good, so we can now all drop it, ok?

Sorry, littlewinston (what would you like us to call you?), we seem to be on a roll here about pea gravel.

Have you been reading all the threads we have on the forum about raising baby sulcatas? We have lots of new info here that usually isn't taught to beginners.

littlewinston

5 Year Member
At the size they are now the gravel is to big for them to eat. They do sometimes munch on the coco coir tho lol

Status
Not open for further replies.