just bought a baby Sulcata Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXAPAINKILLERXX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wilmington CA
Just bought a baby Sulcata Tortoise! :)

i just bought one.. went to the store and loved it.. named him Donny (TMNT) :p made him a cool home.. felt bad that he was lonely so i bought another baby! now they buddies :) havnt named the 2nd one.. any ideas for names?

XXAPAINKILLERXX

5 Year Member
Wilmington CA
Named him Donny..made a cool home for him got he light and everything i need.. i felt like he seem lonely so a bought another one :) havnt named the 2nd yet.. any ideas for names? im thinking Turbo or Squirtle.. they are eating a lot is that normal? i cut off the bottom of plastic cups to make lil dishes i put greens etc. on top and one eats the whole lil plate.. and i clean then refill the plates cause both eat.. should i keep refilling or fill once per day? im new to TFO.. love these dudes![/font]

Attachments

• 541486_320798191308784_100001358161471_822589_1944571193_n.jpg
    541486_320798191308784_100001358161471_822589_1944571193_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 125

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: Just bought a baby Sulcata Tortoise! :)

i hope you have a big yard!
start reading about thier care and needs. Whatever the petstore told you might not be right.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well. from what I see,, you need a better diet and some moisture... the little one you have is alredy starting to pyramid..which usually means it was kept too dry.
Read the Sulcata section... read up on diets.. and enclosures..
I would run to walmart and buy the biggest plastic tote you can find and switch to that.. and I would also give your little guys a good warm water soaking.
as for diet.. go buy some Spring Mix at the store.. dark leafy greens.. not iceberg or romaine..
And.. WELCOME to our family!!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I feed mine usually once a day, sometimes 2x.

Like someone mentioned in the other thread, you have a LOT of research and homework to do on these guys. There is literally too much information to post, so definitely review all the stickied threads in this section concerning caring for baby sulcatas.

My personal advice:
1.) Make sure your temps are correct. You basically need to keep track of four different temperatures: daytime ambient, nighttime ambient, basking (warm end), and cool end. Invest in a good temperature gun.
2.) Grasses and greens are the primary diet. Not so much other veggies and fruits. I typically feed mine a mixture of collard greens and the Spring Mix salad mix. Offer orchard grass hay (sold for rabbits), but often babies don't like it. Also try to supplement ZooMed's Grassland tortoise diet (soak it first). That can help get some hay material in their diet.
3.) Humidity is important! Find some way to cover the top of that tub, or else find other housing that will allow you to. Simply misting them with a spray bottle 2-3x a day won't cut it. Lots of threads on this site about humidity.
4.) Substrate. Something digable and retains humidity. A lot of keepers use some mixture of coconut coir, topsoil, and cypress mulch. Be generous with it; they like to dig. Just don't keep it excessively damp or wet.

Like I said, read every thread you can find on baby sulcatas.

XXAPAINKILLERXX

5 Year Member
Wilmington CA
RE: Just bought a baby Sulcata Tortoise! :)

DAAYYUUMM you got all those :) iready ready to take care of them.. thanx

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
XXAPAINKILLERXX said:
thanx to all.. low on funds so gotta wait a week

just got them 3 days ago :)

At the risk of coming across as rude or badgering...Perhaps you should not have acquired two baby tortoises without having the proper set-up and know-how for them in place, especially with limited monies. ;)

Don't fret. Lord knows I've made more than my fair share of "impulse purchases" in the past 20 yrs. But I've learned from my mistakes and am generally a little wiser now. I only belabor the point so you realize the importance of doing your research BEFORE getting an animal (much less, two of them!). I just hope you learn from this error in judgment as well.

So enough finger-wagging...looking to the future, we all are here to help you any way we can with these cute little babies you now are responsible for!:D :tort:

XXAPAINKILLERXX

5 Year Member
Wilmington CA
should i have a lil water bowl for them? or they dont really need it? everything i read wasnt to sure on it

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
XXAPAINKILLERXX said:
should i have a lil water bowl for them? or they dont really need it? everything i read wasnt to sure on it

Yes. They need access to fresh water all the time. Ideally something large enough for them to step in (something with an approximate diameter of the tortoise itself).

XXAPAINKILLERXX

5 Year Member
Wilmington CA
StudentoftheReptile said:
XXAPAINKILLERXX said:

Yes. They need access to fresh water all the time. Ideally something large enough for them to step in (something with an approximate diameter of the tortoise itself).

THANK U!
:)

XXAPAINKILLERXX

5 Year Member
Wilmington CA
Laura said:
well. from what I see,, you need a better diet and some moisture... the little one you have is alredy starting to pyramid..which usually means it was kept too dry.
Read the Sulcata section... read up on diets.. and enclosures..
I would run to walmart and buy the biggest plastic tote you can find and switch to that.. and I would also give your little guys a good warm water soaking.
as for diet.. go buy some Spring Mix at the store.. dark leafy greens.. not iceberg or romaine..
And.. WELCOME to our family!!

i guessing veggie mix aint right? thats what i got :/

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Kernersville, NC
Welcome to the fourm. As far as food i really like the spineless catus pads along with other stuff list in other replies. It has a awesome shelf life if kept in fridge. I have had great results getting it from coastal silk worms. i have even put some of the fresher looking pads in the dirt and they have started to grow roots. Good luck and just keep reading the post from this fourm. The people here have never steared me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.