Is Chevy Really 3 months old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hi everyone I am starting to doubt that Chevy is 3 months old. I am seeing a lot of pics of 3 month old Sullies ad Chevy looks a lot less mature than them he only weighs 42-48grams.
What do you all think?
017.JPG

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
my Tobi is 3 months old today i was told by his seller he hatched on aug 10 and he weighs 68.4 grams i just weighed him, im a new owner so i wouldnt know but im sure will clarify for us :)

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
As I posted in the thread regarding the 2 I all-but rescued from the keeper in Dallas, they are approximately 3-4 months old. I weighed them again last night, 85 grams and 93 grams respectively. I will have to say that considering these two are out of the same clutch, same conditions, same husbandry, and there is a 10 gram different, that tortoise age and growth does not seem to be something that can be set up using a broad rule (i.e. a 3 month old sulcata weighs 90 grams). Everything is relative.

I would say he is 2-3 months old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a huge range of growth rates for a variety of reasons. Chevy does look younger than three months to me based on his growth rings or lack thereof. It is possible that he's just a slow grower. Here's Tuck and Tulee at 2 and a half months old. Tuck was 77 grams and Tulee was 76. These were very fast growers.
2akmsm9.jpg

rcqxef.jpg

Here's Tuck at around one month. Weight was around 45 here. Looks more like your first pics of Chevy to me.
ru0hs3.jpg

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i know of breeders or vendors that have absolutely no idea how old their torts are, and just keep their answers the same. so people just come up with an age, and stick with it, regardless how long they actually have their torts. and if they know you are a newbie, then they know you wont know the difference. just my two cents with dealing with the pet trade

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cory is right. I'm sort of guilty of the same thing in dealing with the public in my job. Someone will walk up while I'm in the middle of working 100 pigeons and ask "what's this one's name?" I almost always say George. Sometimes I'll switch up and say Walter. The youngin's never get that one.

laura808

5 Year Member
not able to leave comments for now
Tom said:
Cory is right. I'm sort of guilty of the same thing in dealing with the public in my job. Someone will walk up while I'm in the middle of working 100 pigeons and ask "what's this one's name?" I almost always say George. Sometimes I'll switch up and say Walter. The youngin's never get that one.

lol thats really funny! :p my otis is pretty small too though

Status
Not open for further replies.