3 Month Old Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I was wondering if my Sulcata is over name weight and length for its age I got Chevy just a few days ago so I doubt he has already gained weight since then I just measured and weighed him right now.

Weight
1.5 lb
40 g

Length
2.5 inches

Also the vendor that I bought him from at Repticon only knew that he was born in August but not the specific date will I still be able to track his growth normally?

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Very cute name. But I'm confused, is he 1.5 lbs or is he 40g? 40g seems about right and his length is perfect for his age. They grow so slowly you could be off by months and still know weight and length. I always made up days if i wanted an actual birthday. This is a VERY vital age though and making sure he has a calcium supplement and adaquet humidity is very crucial to having a healthy and smooth tortoise. You will get alot of great info in the form of opinions, but these are methods you should at least try. I suggest giving him calcium every day and misting him with a squirt bottle at least once day till he's dripping wet. A hide is also crucial for the tortoise to feel secure. Congrats on the new baby

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Marty333 said:
I was wondering if my Sulcata is over name weight and length for its age I got Chevy just a few days ago so I doubt he has already gained weight since then I just measured and weighed him right now.

Weight
1.5 lb
40 g

Length
2.5 inches

Also the vendor that I bought him from at Repticon only knew that he was born in August but not the specific date will I still be able to track his growth normally?

That all sounds about right. Not the pounds thing, but the grams. Most of us use grams for hatchling weights. I certainly prefer it. Its good that you are keeping track of his weight. It can sometimes help prevent or at least alert you to problems down the road. In case you haven't seen it yet, this is what I do with hatchlings:
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yikes my little guy is 3 months old now and I just weighed him this morning. He weighs 97g. and is just under 3 inches. Does that mean mine is growing too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.