is my tortoise sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicciu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
So I have a one year old leopard who has been doing pretty well, but lately he has had on and off sniffles. more like he wakes up, makes like snotty noises with his mouth and then blows bubbles with his nose. it went away after we made sure it wasnt getting too cold at night, but then it came back and hasnt really gone away. we've been soaking him and recently he's been sleeping a lot, but otherwise still eating and pooping. Im not sure if im overreacting because i did just move and he is adjusting a little bit, even tho he is in the same tank with the same light bulbs. I guess im mostly just concerned about the cold more than anything. any help? is it time to take him to the vet?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Might be time to take him to the vet, but you'll need to find out what might be making him ill and correct some things. What are your temperatures and humidity levels like?

nicciu

5 Year Member
Kansas
i keep it about 90-100 over the rock and then his little hut is to the side so it is warm in there, but not directly under the lamp. right now its about 60 humidity. ive been keeping a night heat lamp on so the room temp wont effect his tank temp. i have the water in the middle of the tank so it doesnt get cold.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What is the temperature on the cooler end and during the night time?

nicciu

5 Year Member
Kansas
its around the same at night just a bit cooler. im not sure what the cool side is because i only have one thermometer right now, but its definitely cooler, and he'll walk around the whole tank and then go sleep under the lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The most common cause for the symptoms you are seeing is cold. You need to get a temp gun and a remote probed thermometer. You need to know what all your temps are so that you can make appropriate adjustments. Every house is different. There are different air currents and different temps. The old equipment is clearly not working in the new location. This can happen even when you move an enclosure to a new area in the same house. Don't forget they also need it dark at night, so a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat is more than likely to be your best bet. When they start showing these symptoms the best course of action is to immediately warm things up 10-15 degrees. This can be done by lowering your fixtures, upping the wattage on your bulbs, or covering the top to help hold in more heat.

You have a problem. If you catch if fast enough it might not escalate.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah, like they said above. A runny nose is never a good thing. Get the enclosure to the right temps, get the right equipment to do that, and take him to a tortoise vet. Don't wait around for things to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.