Is it time for another trip to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
My year old leopard Leroy Brown came down with a runny nose about 3-4 weeks ago. Went to the vet quickly and started him on 2 weeks of IM ceftazidime. He gradually got better over the two weeks, though I still saw the odd clear bubble from his nose. A day after his recheck appointment, he got worse, with clear bubbles and squeaky noises. Now it's been 5 days since the recheck appointment and the squeaks are gone, but the bubbles are still there and he's not running around like he usually does.

Should I make another appointment? Or let him get over it in his warm home. The reason I ask is the hospital was kinda cold which may have sparked problems after the recheck. So I don't want to put the stress of another appointment on him. I'm also asking the vet, but I respect TF's second opinion.

Thanks,

Evan

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
I would take him for a recheck, but take a warm water bottle with you this time to keep him warm.

Sometimes the runny nose will go away on its own, but without actually seeing the tort we can not advise you properly and I think I say it for all of us at TFO that as a forum we can advise you but at the end of the day it's your responsibility.

That way it takes any responsibility from us if we get it wrong, and something happens to your baby.

Why don't you ring a different rep vet for a second opinion.
Although when in doubt, take him. It could be nothing or it could b the start of a respitory infection that's not clearing properly. When he was given antibiotics, how long was he given them for?

Sometimes people stop the treatment when they see the symptoms have gone, when in actual fact they are still lurking with no signs.

Good luck

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree with the above. The vet should know that it has not cleared up and don't be afraid to express your opinion about the cold hospital. The vet should know it is not the right conditions.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is he eating?
SOmetimes they need a much longer dose... 2-3 weeks.. and days after sypmtoms go away.
For travleing.. use a hot water bottle or those little hand warmer packets you can get at Walmart.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses guys. He was on antibiotics for 2 weeks. Then the vet cleared him to go off of them.

I had him in a heated box, but they took him to examine for about half an hour and it was probably 75 in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.