Help! Sick tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Can someone please enlighten me as to why one has to soak a leopard tortoise? What is the purpose of this soaking? Anyhow a temperature of 100 is extremely high for a leopard tortoise considering that incubating temperature is only in the region of 80. Being cold blooded they cannot regulate there body temperature like we can, but more or less takes on the temperature of the environment. In nature if the temperature exceeds 80 they will find a cool spot in the shade or hide under long grass and here i refer to even the adult ones. Where they occur in nature a 100 degrees is considered to be a heat wave and under those circumstances the only water bodies that they may encounter would be fairly large (smaller ones would evaporate) and will probably only reach a temperature in the region of 80 degrees.
I'm sure you have very interesting points to make but you should really start your own thead for this rather than hijack the thread of someone who has asked for help.
You will have a lot more chance to debate this with your own thread.

Mellivora

5 Year Member
I'm sure you have very interesting points to make but you should really start your own thead for this rather than hijack the thread of someone who has asked for help.
You will have a lot more chance to debate this with your own thread.
Lyn - I totally agree. Could you please assist by explaining how I can start my own thread.
At my age I am a bit technologically retarded but I do have a lot that I would like to share.

Mellivora

5 Year Member
Well, to start with, the tortoise in your aviator, that you raised from a baby, is pyramided. That is from being raised too dry. In the wild, tortoises will dig down to find the moister they need, they also hide under leaf litter and anything else which gives them higher humidity. The people here on this forum, raise healthy non pyramided tortoises by using the soaking and humidity. They have done many exspermints, studied torts in the wild, and much more to correct the old outdated information.
Cheryl may I suggest that you read my placement with care again.
I stated that the dad was the size of the baby when I started raising him. The mom was donated to me when she grew to large to be handled by her previous owner so I am not responsible for her looks.
I would like to add further comments but have already been admonished that I should rather start my own thread.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Cheryl may I suggest that you read my placement with care again.
I stated that the dad was the size of the baby when I started raising him. The mom was donated to me when she grew to large to be handled by her previous owner so I am not responsible for her looks.
I would like to add further comments but have already been admonished that I should rather start my own thread.
Welcome go to your tortoise species and at the bottom of the page there will be a green bar with post new thread.