Is my tortoise sick..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
My Greek tortoise of around 3 years of age has developed a regular "sneeze" and has snot coming from his nose. Is he sick? Should I take him to a vet? He's not acting the same as he used to, he sticks to his huts and comes out only to eat and warm up. I increased the temperature in his tank with another heat lamp to see if it'd help. I soak him every other day and run water over his eyes and nose. After bathing, he seems to perk right up for a couple minutes and eat more, but then goes right back in the hut.. help my Turbo. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20110608_123748.jpg
    IMG_20110608_123748.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 39

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
What is the temp in the setup? How is his eating compared to before? Is the snot from his nose clear, yellow, etc?

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
The temp went from the mid 80's to now around low to mid 90's. I do have another male Golden Greek in the same tank and Turbo (the snotter) used to be very active and dominate, so I don't know if they've switched dominate male roles? He doesn't eat much when he's in the tank, but now as we speak Turbo is sitting on my desk eating plantains and garden grown Collard. His snot is clear.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sneezing and snot.. Id say yes, he is sick..
raising the temp was good.. if he is still eating.. that is good, but he may need more help.
extra soaks with vitamins and/or babyfood mixed in, warm temps, sunshine if you have it, and get a vet lined up
in case he gets worse.

SEPERATE THEM NOW!!
they should not be together... need different care and could make each other sick...

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Clear is much better than any other color. You could even raise the temp a little higher closer to 100. Laura is right about good soaks, sunshine, and even some nasal saline flushes. I would try to look for only a herp vet. Just continue to observe him as well and look out for any other signs that may be alarming (not eating, not using the bathroom, change in color of snot or mouth breathing, etc).

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
Okay, thanks guys. He seems to be happy but just a little under the weather. I'll take him outside in his pen now since New York doesn't see too many 90+ degree days. :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yeah, I'll say. That sounds like wonderful weather for New York.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Laura about separating them right now and Christy and Laura about what to do for them.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It sounds like runny nose syndrome, if you have upped the temps, make sure you keep him hydrated otherwise if things get worse antibiotics cannot be given, or it can cause RF

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It sounds to me like stress. If he eats better out of the enclosure and hides he is stressed by the other tortoise. If they are both males they could have hierarchy issues. I would separate them and keep him warm for a week or more. Make sure you keep him hydrated with the increase in temps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Frosty 1021:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Quite often the runny nose you see is stress related and confused with an upper respiratory infection. Tim/Robin has given you pretty good advice.

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
I'm Matt, sorry I should've stated that. But I will do my best to separate them. It's hard because I'm at home for the summer from college and I only have so much room. Plus with the upstate New York weather it can go from 90 degrees to 65 degrees in an hour. I'd hate to get rid of one of them though. Any suggestions what to do?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
get an old book case, lay it on its back, remove the shelves, line it with a shower curtain and put substrate in it and you have a quick 2nd enclosure. book cases come in all sizes, you should be able to find one that will fit where you live. If not... see if a friend can house the healthy one for you? rehome the one? you might always need to keep them seperate.

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
Yeah, it's just a lot to heat three tanks. My dad would kill me haha. I have these two guys and two baby female Greeks that I got from Tim/Robin, so four heat lamps would be killer for the electric bill.

I'd hate to put a divider in their tank because there's not enough room, but I don't think I could keep a room warm enough in my house to keep good temps in a bookcase. I'll have to work something out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt:

I don't mean to sound like I'm being hard on you, but you need to think more of your tortoises' well-being than of what your dad might say about the electric bill. How would you feel if one died because of a simple problem like you needed another light?

How long have you had the sneezy tortoise? How long has it been kept in the same habitat as the other tortoises?

Because he seems to eat better when he's not in the tank with the other tortoise, it DOES seem like a stress-related problem. I, also, am of the opinion that you need to separate them.

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
No you're not being hard on me, I want your feedback. But you're right id hate to have one die. I've put Turbo in a smaller tank for tonight, and tomorrow I'm running to Lowes for wood for a tortoise table, or another tank at the pet store.

The sneeze has been here for a couple weeks.. he seems to be better in a separate tank. The two males I bought were just an inch and a half when I got them so they've been in together their whole lives. But maybe now that they're old enough its becoming more stressful. Please keep the advice coming, obviously there's things I do right and wrong. Thanks.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Hey Matt, you may be able to find a large storage bin, like the ones for storing sweaters under a bed. That will save you the time and money of building one. Walmart or other stores usually carry fairly large ones. You could fairly easily and inexpensively set up another enclosure.

Frosty1021

5 Year Member
Hey Tim thanks for the idea! I'll definitely swing by Walmart and see what they have tomorrow. I'll be taking my torts back to college with me in the fall so they'll love to wander around my suite.
By the way Tim, the baby Greeks are doing wonderful!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Frosty1021 said:
By the way Tim, the baby Greeks are doing wonderful!
Glad to hear. Post pictures of them as they grow. Have they lightened in color at all?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
your torts go to college? they allow pets? kinda cool..
but so is the floor of a suite.. so not thebest place for a tort..
also may eat something he shouldnt..
around xmas time walmart sells the really big storage boxes.. some on wheels!

Status
Not open for further replies.