my greek is sick......

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
I just got baby black greek a month ago. It was very healthy and ate well. But couple of days ago i found out that my greek is sick. He never moves even I touch it. He blinks hes eyes and moves little bit but sleeps back on when i put him back. He doesnt eat and doesnt poop.
Only moves when i hold him.....
Im not sure what the problem is he was doing so good and now he seems to be sick. I soaked him everyday and the temperatures are fine. My temperature is about 90 on hoptspot and cold side is about 80. The humidity is about 30.... I think the problem is humidity so I spray it to make it above 50 but it only last for 30-40 mins and its 30 again. Guys please help me! My tortoise is dying............

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You mentioned heat, but what type of UVB/UVA do you provide for him.....what type of lights are you using and for how long? What is his diet like.

Also, if it were me I would bump the hot side to like 95-100ish since your little one is possibly having issues.

What type of enclosure are you using for him? How big is your little one?
:D

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I would get him to an exotics vet. In the meantime,you can soak him in warm water that has babyfood pumpkin or carrots in it. I agree with bringing up the temperature.

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
You mentioned heat, but what type of UVB/UVA do you provide for him.....what type of lights are you using and for how long? What is his diet like.

Also, if it were me I would bump the hot side to like 95-100ish since your little one is possibly having issues.

What type of enclosure are you using for him? How big is your little one?
:D

I use repitsun 10.0 uvb ray from zoo med and i turn it on for 10-12 hours a day. For diet i fed him with spring mix,opuntia cactus,hay, some carrots, some calcium, some zoo med pellets.

I usually make it maximum to 90. I never made it 95-100.

I have glass aquariaum with repti bark for bedding. Mine is about 2inches. It only pooped once this week. Thats why I soaked him in warm water but wont poop.

jackrat said:
I would get him to an exotics vet. In the meantime,you can soak him in warm water that has babyfood pumpkin or carrots in it. I agree with bringing up the temperature.

do you want me to higher the hot spot to 95? Then do you want me to put my tortoise on hot spot?

What do you mean by babyfood pumpkin?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How far away from your tortoise is the uvb tube? 12" 15" etc?

Also, if he is not eating he will likely not be poo'g. With him being so small, I would also suggest you setting up a vet appt if you have a safe reptile vet to take him to...

What type of heat bulb are you using? also, I would not keep trying to increase the humidity, they are kinda prone to picking up RI with too wet of an environment even if being kept warm and if you are already keeping him in a tank then he should be getting sufficient moisture at humidity of 30ish or so....IMHO

My main targets if I were you would to set up a warmer hot spot, keep him hydrated as was suggested with the specialty soaks....jackrat is referring to soaking your tortoise with purchased baby food from the store and combining around half water and half baby food in the soaking water...sometimes this will get a touch of nutrition as well as sometimes it will spark the appetite...squash, carrot are a couple of good flavors or you can use 100 pure pumpkin (in he can kind with no spices or other goodies added, 100% pure) and mix the same way.... :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
where did you get it from? Breeder or pet store? I would try contacing them to see if there are issues with others...

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
How far away from your tortoise is the uvb tube? 12" 15" etc?

Also, if he is not eating he will likely not be poo'g. With him being so small, I would also suggest you setting up a vet appt if you have a safe reptile vet to take him to...

What type of heat bulb are you using? also, I would not keep trying to increase the humidity, they are kinda prone to picking up RI with too wet of an environment even if being kept warm and if you are already keeping him in a tank then he should be getting sufficient moisture at humidity of 30ish or so....IMHO

My main targets if I were you would to set up a warmer hot spot, keep him hydrated as was suggested with the specialty soaks....jackrat is referring to soaking your tortoise with purchased baby food from the store and combining around half water and half baby food in the soaking water...sometimes this will get a touch of nutrition as well as sometimes it will spark the appetite...squash, carrot are a couple of good flavors or you can use 100 pure pumpkin (in he can kind with no spices or other goodies added, 100% pure) and mix the same way.... :D

I think uvb is about 10 inches far but some part its about 8inches? or lower
You mean the baby food that baby eats?
Thank you guys hope my tortoise gets healthy...... Im very worried

Laura said:
where did you get it from? Breeder or pet store? I would try contacing them to see if there are issues with others...

I got it from tortoisesupply. This was very healthy. I think I have problems keeping tortoise because im newbie.

jackrat said:

Thank you jackarat

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would raise that uvb light at least 12" from the tortoise....the 10.0 is kinda designed for rays at up to 20" from surface to light exposure, is your little guy able to escape into shelter from the uvb and heat source? What is your heat source bulb? You have a bulb for the uvb and a bulb for the heat right? two different bulbs?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would raise that uvb light at least 12" from the tortoise....the 10.0 is kinda designed for rays at up to 20" from surface to light exposure, is your little guy able to escape into shelter from the uvb and heat source? What is your heat source bulb? You have a bulb for the uvb and a bulb for the heat right? two different bulbs?

I have hut for tortoise to hide and i have uvb and heat emitter two different bulbs.
Should i put my greek on heat spot or cold spot?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I mean Gerber baby food. For human babies. Use strained pumpkin or carrots,mix a jar into the soaking water.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay, so after reading the entire thread again and going over all that you are doing and the set up you have....I can not see a trigger issue....I would again advise you to set up a vet visit.

I would also say that if I were you I would, as previously suggested, contact the breeder where you got him from and go over all of your set up with them as well as ask if any other people having same problems as you....

Now I know that these guys can brumate, mostly if they are kept outdoors...but yours is not so aged so I would absolutely call the breeder and see what they may suggest....

I would in the meantime, increase the heat spot as discussed, I would also do the soaks as described by jackrat and I would also make sure that he is hydrated....I would go ahead and mist the enclosure at least once a day to assure he does not dry out with the heat emitter and I would keep him quiet and calm....

The legs moving every so often? do you mean like moving in and out with a similar head movement? Not gasping for breath right?

cyyoung749

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Okay, so after reading the entire thread again and going over all that you are doing and the set up you have....I can not see a trigger issue....I would again advise you to set up a vet visit.

I would also say that if I were you I would, as previously suggested, contact the breeder where you got him from and go over all of your set up with them as well as ask if any other people having same problems as you....

Now I know that these guys can brumate, mostly if they are kept outdoors...but yours is not so aged so I would absolutely call the breeder and see what they may suggest....

I would in the meantime, increase the heat spot as discussed, I would also do the soaks as described by jackrat and I would also make sure that he is hydrated....I would go ahead and mist the enclosure at least once a day to assure he does not dry out with the heat emitter and I would keep him quiet and calm....

The legs moving every so often? do you mean like moving in and out with a similar head movement? Not gasping for breath right?

It moves its legs and heads in nad out often. Im not sure is for breathing.

I will keep in touch with you. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.