Could be sneezing while eating but i m not sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VENZZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S.F. California
Hi, Just got my tort from local pet shop about 1month ago. From what I could tell he wasnt being taken care of very well at the pet shop. Therefore, I m doing my best to take care of him.

My tort, Wartortle, lives in a glass viv with Cypress mulch as substrate.
He is fairly small about 3-4inches, not an hatchling but very young.
I m using a Exo terra Solar Glo 125w MVB. Day time temp is around 95 on the hot end and 70s on the cold end. CHE heats him for the night to around 70s
Humidity is around 40s to 60s above the substrate. He has an log hide and water dish. I sometimes pour water into the substrate or misting the viv.

His problem is, whenever he eats he SEEMS to continuously sneeze every 15secs. Its not a big sneeze but more of a blowing air out the nose, like grunting out the nose. He does this only when he eats. I give him chinese cabbage, spring mixes and baby carrots.

He seems fairly inactively, only when i dig him out he might roam around for a while. He eats regularly but he likes to burrow ALOT like 70-80% of the day. Whenever I dig him out he hangs out for about 20mins and goes back to burrowing non-stop.

I tried looking thru his nose, I dont see anything blocking it. I put him in a water dish and try to let him wash everything out. One thing i do notice is that the substrate is kind of dusty at times but i dont know if that is irritating his nose.

I have no clue what is causing it. I did notice him blowing a bubble out his nose ONE time but that was it. He does not blow air out from his nose when he is not eating.

I m worried he might have an upper respiratory infection. Should I really bring him to the vet?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I do not have Greeks but my Hermanns do that when they it, the sound looks like they are bursting a bubble inside their nose but we do not see the bubbles. I am sure someone with experience with Greeks will answer you soon.
As for the food, you should forget about the chinese Cabbage and carrots should only be fed once in a while :)
When you saw a bubble in his nose, was it while he was in his bath?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi VENZZ:

Welcome to the forum!! (May we know your name and where you are?)

The tortoise nares end up in the roof of their mouth, not down their throat, so sometimes you might see whatever's in the mouth come out the nose.

I really don't have an answer for you on whether what is happening to your tortoise is normal or not because I've never seen it before myself.

VENZZ

5 Year Member
S.F. California
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. My name is Steven and I live in San Francisco.

I think i m just paranoid. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.