is my tortoise poorly?

ChelseaR

Location (City and/or State)
London, England
Hi,

Ive had my russian tortoise for over a year and hes been perfectly fine, eating basking and getting exercise. But i went on holiday about 2 weeks ago and my mum was looking after him (she loves him and knows how to look after him) but she said that he didnt eat anything. He still wakes up and basks but never eats any of the food i offer him.

Is something wrong?

Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Double check his basking spot to be sure it's getting up to over 85. 95-100 is a good basking temp. Give him a warm soak daily for 20 minutes and keep a closer eye on him. Tortoise can go without food for quite a while. Just make sure all else is good and he stays hydrated. Also is he pooling?

ChelseaR

London, England
I have to order a themometer and i will double check, no he hasnt pooed or urinated in a while, will give him a soak now and see what happens but he always has food available to him

abigaaailllll

hello, I have 3 Russian tortoises, the youngest one, frank the tank, didn't eat for a little bit, turned out he was sick & had to go to the vet, he's all better now. I don't know if yours is sick but try to feed your tortoise a strawberry (they love fruit), I use mango pellets from petco in my tortoises salad and they absolutely love it, after I bought the mango pellets they never skipped a meal!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't take well to change. Give him a couple weeks of being back in his home territory, and he should snap out of it.

...and, incidentally, Russian tortoises should NOT be fed fruit. If you want to give him a BITE once in awhile, ok, but not part of his usual diet.

ChelseaR

London, England
Thank you all ^^^ i gave him a selection of things yesterday and he didnt touch any of them but then today i could hear him munching some spinach i put in his enclosure this morning!

Maybe he was just feeling stubborn, but thank you all again :)