My Russian will not eat...

OkayBecca

:(:(:(:(

My russian, Emmit... Will not eat!

Its been about 2 and a half weeks.
Ive soaked him, Ive tried laying out food for him, Ive tried using different foods.

His eyes are clear, His nose is clear. The temps may have slightly been low due to the weather in Buffalo NY..

But when i take him out of his enclosure, once he kinda wakes up, he walks around and is alert.

I didnt think he was in hibernation because the temps werent that low.

Im desperate :(

Pleaaaaaaase help.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Tell us about your temperatures and lighting? Pictures will help.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
I just got a Russian last week , he didn't eat anything during the first day he was in his new home I soak him and did everything and nothing , next day I soaked him and after I soaked him I put some romain lettuce in his dish and he didn't even touched it so I took the lettuce and I put it right in front of him and walked out the room when I went back in to check on him he was eating ! Just make sure his/her temperatures are right , make sure u soak him/her (I did it about 3 times last week ) , and leave some food for him/her in his/her enclosure he/she will eat it ! If yours was wild caught it has to get used to his/hers new surroundings and might be a little scared right now

Gtphale

5 Year Member
I have one that won't eat from his food rock, but if I spread it around the enclosure he will search it out and eat it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
OkayBecca said:
The temps may have slightly been low due to the weather in Buffalo NY..

This could be the problem. Tortoises cannot digest their food if they can't warm up adequately. Most of our tortoises will come out of their burrow in the morning and bask to wake up. After awhile, they will be interested in food.
Soaking helps, but can't get their internal temps up enough to support digestion.

You need an accurate way to measure the temps under your basking/uv light (heart source), like a digital thermometer with a wire probe that you can move around. You need to make sure his temps are 95f basking.

So that's why we want more information about your bulb and set up.
You will be a lot happier when he eats!

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
It has been snowing in NY correct? But if it's snowing outside and your tortoise is in an indoor enclosure than he should have had a basking bulb on daily which if at the right temperatures shouldn't have effected him this way. Make sure the basking light and UVB temps are correct and soak him in warm water for 30 minutes daily.