Is her behavior normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
I got her yesterday and as soon as I got home I have her a little banana just to welcome her. She ate it up like a pig. This morning I have her a mixture of green pepper, grapes and timothy hay. She wouldn't touch it all day. Tonight I have her a bath. She drank water. I offered her some field green mixture and she didn't touch that either. She seems to stay in her house. Will she warm up and come play with me or might there be something wrong?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

Tortoises really aren't interactive pets. They do much better (in my opinion) if you leave them alone.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
While they usually are more of a solo act....you will get the little character moments when they totally are into you....so perhaps yes and maybe no...only time will tell....I would not suggest alot of pick up handling action but certainly be present and represent pleasure to them (food is absolute pleasure--well necessity--to them) :D

Be patient and give your new little one time...:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
One thing about tortoises is that they instinctively think that anything that picks them up or moves them is going to kill and eat them, which makes them very nervous when you try to touch them.

They can get over this, but it takes time and patience.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And continue to offer a variety of foods as you are doing. Eventually she will come to chow them down.
They tend to be shy at first until they realize that they are safe.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is very early days for your tortoise. It can take weeks for them to settle into a new environment and get used to being handled and fed by someone new.

Daily bathing at a regular time of day in luke warm water ensures your tortoise stays hydrated, encourages pooping and gets your tort used to being handled. Joe usually eats most straight after his bath.

When it comes to food, think fussy children. Don't make a rod for your own back by offering the sweet stuff that they love because you're worried about your tort not eating. Make the banana an occasional treat. Children will hold out for chocolate, but get hungry enough to eat dinner properly when Mom puts her foot down and insists there's no candy without meals being eaten properly first! It's called tough love and, just like with children, you feel really mean... but it does work and does no harm!

Offer the greens regularly and your tort will eat them, though it might take a few days for hunger to win her over! Try buying a tray of living lettuce from your supermarket and leaving that in the enclosure. Your tort can then nibble when she fancies it. (When you get to a tort the size of my Joe, the tray gets demolished in under 10 minutes, but you're not at that stage yet! :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.