Avoiding her hides

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Today Morticia, one of my two CDTs, did something odd. Every day at around 5:30 or 6, she goes into the underground burrow in her outdoor enclosure, and stays in there until I lift her out to bring her in for the night at 7:30 or 8. Once in her indoor enclosure, she crawls into her hide (a clay planter with orchid bark) and stays in there for the next 12 hours. Well tonight I went out at 8 and found her outside her burrow asleep in a far corner of the enclosure. When I put her inside her indoor enclosure, she didn't crawl into the pot but stayed outside of it. Any idea why she would change what has otherwise been consistent behavior? Her brother followed the usual routine. I checked in the burrow and can't find anything amiss. Temps have been nothing unusual (low 80s during the day, 68 inside at night). Just a flukey thing or an indicator of some kind?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would keep an eye on the tort....they are not a big creature of change---so my first instinct would be to find out what has created the change....black widow, scorpion....spot wet due to irrigation???? You know, try to step back and see what could have changed---simple things can be the culprit----and even the other mild mannered tort could be the problem...that other tort that is "business as usual" could have evicted the other tort and rather than fight...the tort retreated....perhaps create a second equal night room for the one out in the elements...?

This is a very assertive species of tort and pairs almost certainly can not exist in peace and harmony....

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I suspect it could be because when you dig down a few inches in the burrow right now, it's a little damp due to my husband watering flowers recently planted outside the enclosure. I bet the ground outside the burrow was drier cause it was baking in the sun all day.

I haven't yet seen evidence of any bullying between these two, but I am certainly cognizant that I should be aware of it. Indoors, they sleep in separate Rubbermaids. I know eventually they'll need separate enclosures outdoors as well.

When I came out this morning, Miss M was tucked in her plant pot in her Rubbermaid like usual. She must have climbed in at some point during the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.