I think im doing everything wrong with my suclatas please help

EdouardR

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Ok so I got two sulcata for 3 years now, They are about 4 years old now, They were together in a glass tank of 40 gallons for about two years. 3-4 months ago I separated them because i saw one of them wasn't growing and the other one was growing bigger and bigger. The small one is living in a 10 or 20 gallon glass tank without light because they broke last week and the big one in the 40 gallons glass tank and lights, both have a water bowl and a hiding spot where they sleep, I am taking them both outside multiple times a day everyday so they can the grass and drink together. I am living in Miami so they weather is good for them but I feel everything i do is wrong becasue they aren't growing as I see. So I need opinions, and I wanted to make a big outside enclosure with a lot of plants and maybe a small river (I have a big gardne so everything can be made) and I really need ideas for they enclusre such as plants, hiding spots, how to create a river and the bedding and the borders of the enclosure which will be separated in 2. Please share links of website where I can buy everything for the enclsure since COVID-19 made it hard to go on a reptile shop for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use corral lumber for my tortoise yard fencing, but you can get cinder blocks for about a dollar apiece and use that. Here's a picture of my fencing:

Dudley's track 10-8-14.jpgDudley's up in arms a.jpg

EdouardR

Miami
I like to use corral lumber for my tortoise yard fencing, but you can get cinder blocks for about a dollar apiece and use that. Here's a picture of my fencing:

View attachment 290141View attachment 290142
Thank you very much but do you think I shoudl make them an outside encosure or keep them inside, other wise what should i do to improve their growth because i don't think they are big enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how big they are, but I was assuming at that age they're big enough to live outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok so I got two sulcata for 3 years now, They are about 4 years old now, They were together in a glass tank of 40 gallons for about two years. 3-4 months ago I separated them because i saw one of them wasn't growing and the other one was growing bigger and bigger. The small one is living in a 10 or 20 gallon glass tank without light because they broke last week and the big one in the 40 gallons glass tank and lights, both have a water bowl and a hiding spot where they sleep, I am taking them both outside multiple times a day everyday so they can the grass and drink together. I am living in Miami so they weather is good for them but I feel everything i do is wrong becasue they aren't growing as I see. So I need opinions, and I wanted to make a big outside enclosure with a lot of plants and maybe a small river (I have a big gardne so everything can be made) and I really need ideas for they enclusre such as plants, hiding spots, how to create a river and the bedding and the borders of the enclosure which will be separated in 2. Please share links of website where I can buy everything for the enclsure since COVID-19 made it hard to go on a reptile shop for them.
What size are they? Can we see pics?

Here is all the care info for them, so you can get them set up correctly:

Read these and then come back with all your questions.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Please post some pictures of the tortoises as that will help us with the advice we can provide. It sounds like both would benefit from being in separate, much larger enclosures.