Geting a Baby Tortoise! Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Im getting a baby desert tortoise I have a under gravel heating mat a UVB lamp a very big one and I have a shallow water dish and a hide for them. Im using rabbit pellets for the bedding. Nd the Dome light will be placed in the middle because thats the only part that is not covered by glass besides one side. Im going to pick them up but what do I use to carry them in ? And any other help on how to take care of them they will be living in an apartment so no yard for the mean time.

please and thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How exciting. I can't help with much. For transporting them, just use a box with high sides and place a paper towels or substrate in it for traction. I would also have a towel to put over the box to make it dark and them settle better. Also, be prepared for them to poop. Everyone says a car ride is a poop guarantee. I know some box turtles I transported held to that too:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Geting a Baby Tortoise! Please help!!

New Desert Tortoise Mommy said:
Im getting a baby desert tortoise I have a under gravel heating mat a UVB lamp a very big one and I have a shallow water dish and a hide for them. Im using rabbit pellets for the bedding. Nd the Dome light will be placed in the middle because thats the only part that is not covered by glass besides one side. Im going to pick them up but what do I use to carry them in ? And any other help on how to take care of them they will be living in an apartment so no yard for the mean time.

I answered in your other thread but for viewers that read this one, I'll answer again.

I'd suggest you don't use rabbit pellets for substrate. They can't dig into it, molds when wet, probably awkward to walk on. There are many "dirt like" options to choose from. Top soil, cypress mulch, coco coir and more.

I wouldn't use the under gravel heat mat either. Your babies need a basking spot over head to mimic the sun. Use a regular house bulb or MVB in a dome fixture and place it over a spot in the enclosure. You want the temp below it (tort level) to reach 95F or so.
Your UV bulb should be a long tube type. Not the compact, coil bulb. This will help light up the rest of the enclosure.

Shallow water dish is great.

You could consider multiple hides, since toy are getting more than 1 baby.

You can carry them in a small tub. Something with sides they can't climb over. Maybe the same tub you use for their soaks?

Hope this helps!

Sent from my TFOapp

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
When you transport I strongly suggest something with a lid! I transported some boxies in a flat the other day and I thought that the 8" sides would be plenty because they are only 2" long. Boy was I wrong. I almost wrecked when one climbed out and flooped onto my arm. So make sure it is not something they can climb or fall out of! And they will poop in the car so put some substrate down. Like some dirt. If you use a paper towel be prepared for some dirty babies when you get them home!

Nic0

5 Year Member
Definitely don't use rabbit pellets - they can cause impaction if eaten. The under gravel heater is also a bad idea because most animals dig DOWN to escape heat and will end up frying if they burrow on top of a heater. A container with a lid is also a great idea - I actually had a lizard escape into a car console before. Good luck and have fun with your new pet! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.