Eckgirl88

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, nv
Artie is lethargic and his shell is softer than it should be. His enclosure is a large tote with a ceramic heat bulb, a MVB at 75w (we added today from the one that is like spiral and white), and also an incandescent bulb at 65watts. His cool side is 80 and the warm side fluctuates based on which lights are on but 84-100 and humidity is 84. Coco for substrate. He’s been on a diet of hibiscus leaves, succulents, and we add in clovers and mustard greens or kale, or spinach from the store, but grow the different succulents and hibiscus. Today I bought some spider plants, a prayer plant, bromeliad, and a geranium to add to our Artie buffet. He has always been such an active and curious tortoise who comes out of his humid hide as soon as you open his enclosure and start making noise. He has always chomped down his food like an eager beaver. He usually poops or pees on my daughter if she rubs his belly or during soaks and his shell was hard and smooth without any pyramiding.

He recently started to shed, or that’s what we thought but now I’m questioning everything. We check the tortoise table before giving any new foods. He gets at least three soaks a week, but we were doing it daily, but my daughter has slacked a little bit. I didn’t think it was enough to do damage. He is fed daily and has a terra cotta dish of water at all times as well as moist substrate and daily (sometimes multiple times a day) sprays. I thought the shedding was a sign he was growing and we were doing good. This week he has been inactive. Today I’d describe it as lethargic. I came home and he had his head hanging and took more than one nudge to open his eyes. We researched and did a baby food soak with carrots, spinach, kale, and pear to along with two water soaks and the second one (to rinse) had a sprinkle of calcium mixed in to try to get him to absorb that too. I’m linking a video from my daughter’s phone of last year and the rest of the media is all of about 30 minutes ago. Is it too late for him? I don’t know what happened to cause such a drastic change. He has relocated himself in his habitat about 3 times since the new bulb was switched out. Is that a good sign? Is there anything else we can do? Everyone loves him so much and we are building the closed chamber enclosure Mark gave the specs for. My FIL is cutting the PVC out atm. Videos and pictures of Artie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Newly bought plants can have insecticides on them and should not be fed without some washing, transplanting and letting new growth come in.
The pic looks like typical eye problems from the coil type bulbs.
Try soaking him daily in warm water for half hour, keeping him warm the whole time and add carrot baby food mixed in and flavorless piedialyte. Do this daily.

Last edited:

Eckgirl88

Las Vegas, nv
What do you mean by oil type bulbs? The only lights we have are what Tom and Mark were recommending. It’s just the UV light, the halogen (I think that’s the word), and a ceramic to emit heat when no light is needed. I thought we had the right lights now

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What do you mean by oil type bulbs? The only lights we have are what Tom and Mark were recommending. It’s just the UV light, the halogen (I think that’s the word), and a ceramic to emit heat when no light is needed. I thought we had the right lights now
Sorry, that should have said coil type bulbs not oil.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You did say that you used a coil type until yesterday when you added the mercury.
The mercury is also not the one to be used. It's too harsh on the shell and unreliable with the UV output.
The tube fluorescent is the recommended UV to use. The incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any added needed day heat and night heat.

Eckgirl88

Las Vegas, nv
You did say that you used a coil type until yesterday when you added the mercury.
The mercury is also not the one to be used. It's too harsh on the shell and unreliable with the UV output.
The tube fluorescent is the recommended UV to use. The incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any added needed day heat and night heat.
I was going based on this thread and went to get the mvb yesterday. Should I take it back and get the tube? I saw in another thread not to use the tube to use mvb. I just want to do the right thing and idk what advice to take

Thread 'Sick tort? (lethargic & soft)'
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sick-tort-lethargic-soft.72041/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was going based on this thread and went to get the mvb yesterday. Should I take it back and get the tube? I saw in another thread not to use the tube to use mvb. I just want to do the right thing and idk what advice to take

Thread 'Sick tort? (lethargic & soft)'
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sick-tort-lethargic-soft.72041/
Old threads may recommend the mvb, but that has been changed. The halogens are also bad for the same reason as the mvb are bad.
Yes, I would return the mvb, get the tube HO fluorescent and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.

Eckgirl88

Las Vegas, nv
Old threads may recommend the mvb, but that has been changed. The halogens are also bad for the same reason as the mvb are bad.
Yes, I would return the mvb, get the tube HO fluorescent and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.
Incandescent flood light is what it is called not halogen that’s what we have. Sorry I couldn’t think of the name. I will get it in the morning and the fixture