Unknown object in Sulcata Tortoise - Help!

Tokka1218

Location (City and/or State)
CALIFORNIA
My Sulcata Tortoise of approximately 5-6 months has been acting lethargic for the last few days, it’s not eating or defecating. He was originally sharing an enclosure with another baby Sulcata but was separated and isolated from that tortoise as I thought he was showing signs of sickness. Their substrate consists of Eco-Earth and Cypress Mulch with Timothy Hay widely available in part of the enclosure. They were receiving daily soaks with a basking temperature of 95-100°F and hides set at around 75-80°F. They’re fed Romaine lettuce, Collard greens, Weeds and Grass as well as an occasional batch of Mazuri and Watermelon to aid in Hydration. (Hydration levels seem to have greatly improved).

As of the last few days, my smaller Sulcata has become very lethargic and will not eat or defecate, he came in at 48g during this weeks weigh in, a 4g increase from last week. I have no exotic pet vets around me and have tried warm soaks as well as Gerber Carrot soaks for today. He seems to be more active while in his soaks but continues to sleep whenever placed down in his isolated enclosure. I placed a flashlight onto his plastron and noticed a large free floating foreign object inside his shell. Could this potentially be constipation or Loose organs? Should I Be concerned? Please help.

IMG_1137.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Sulcata Tortoise of approximately 5-6 months has been acting lethargic for the last few days, it’s not eating or defecating. He was originally sharing an enclosure with another baby Sulcata but was separated and isolated from that tortoise as I thought he was showing signs of sickness. Their substrate consists of Eco-Earth and Cypress Mulch with Timothy Hay widely available in part of the enclosure. They were receiving daily soaks with a basking temperature of 95-100°F and hides set at around 75-80°F. They’re fed Romaine lettuce, Collard greens, Weeds and Grass as well as an occasional batch of Mazuri and Watermelon to aid in Hydration. (Hydration levels seem to have greatly improved).

As of the last few days, my smaller Sulcata has become very lethargic and will not eat or defecate, he came in at 48g during this weeks weigh in, a 4g increase from last week. I have no exotic pet vets around me and have tried warm soaks as well as Gerber Carrot soaks for today. He seems to be more active while in his soaks but continues to sleep whenever placed down in his isolated enclosure. I placed a flashlight onto his plastron and noticed a large free floating foreign object inside his shell. Could this potentially be constipation or Loose organs? Should I Be concerned? Please help.
Hello and welcome.

That looks like food.

Hay is for adult tortoises. It has no place in a baby enclosure and if your substrate is suitably moist it will quickly mold and that could be part of the problem.

The tell tale clue here is 48 grams at 5-6 months. The gain of four grams is likely hydration. At this age your baby should be in the neighborhood of 300 grams.

They should never live in pairs, and the stress from months of living like that is likely a contributor.

No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 degrees at night. Ambient temp during the day should rise to the high 80s or low 90s. Your 95-100 basking area is perfect.

The weeds and grass are good, as long as the grass is soft fresh sprouted tender young grass and chopped into small pieces. Go easy with collards. That should only be offered occasionally. Romaine isn't a great food unless you are adding amendments like soaked horse hay pellets or Zoomed pellets, calcium, and dried leaf or flower options.

Where did you get these babies and how were they started? Here is my best guess about what is happening:

Read this one for the correct care info. Look toward the bottom for the heating/lighting breakdown and the sulcata care sheet:

zovick

10 Year Member!

View attachment 366157
That dark area may indicate an intestinal blockage IMHO. If it remains the same in size and shape for 2-3 days, I would seek veterinary attention for the tortoise (assuming it lives that long).

If you don't want to wait, take it to a vet and have it examined and X-rayed. This will cost more than the tortoise cost you, so be prepared or you can just wait it out and hope for the best.

Reactions: Tom

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
... so be prepared or you can just wait it out and hope for the best.
I completely understand where you're coming from, Bill. But I think it deserves saying that this option comes with a possibly astronomical cost...the agonizing, slow death of that suffering baby, and the OP having to watch it happen.

Tokka1218

CALIFORNIA
Hello and welcome.

That looks like food.

Hay is for adult tortoises. It has no place in a baby enclosure and if your substrate is suitably moist it will quickly mold and that could be part of the problem.

The tell tale clue here is 48 grams at 5-6 months. The gain of four grams is likely hydration. At this age your baby should be in the neighborhood of 300 grams.

They should never live in pairs, and the stress from months of living like that is likely a contributor.

No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 degrees at night. Ambient temp during the day should rise to the high 80s or low 90s. Your 95-100 basking area is perfect.

The weeds and grass are good, as long as the grass is soft fresh sprouted tender young grass and chopped into small pieces. Go easy with collards. That should only be offered occasionally. Romaine isn't a great food unless you are adding amendments like soaked horse hay pellets or Zoomed pellets, calcium, and dried leaf or flower options.

Where did you get these babies and how were they started? Here is my best guess about what is happening:

Read this one for the correct care info. Look toward the bottom for the heating/lighting breakdown and the sulcata care sheet:
Where did you get these babies and how were they started?

Hello, thank you for your response

After reading your post on “Hatchling Failure Syndrome,” a lot of those symptoms are present in my tortoise. This tortoise was handed down to me after the original buyer lost interest in the Sulcata so I attempted to educate myself on their proper care but have now realized I was messing up with the aspects of the enclosure that you mentioned, thank you for informing me better. After about two weeks of having the tortoise under my care I went back to the Pet shop they were being sold at only to find about 10-15 baby sulcata in a 10 Gallon tank with some romaine as well as a single deep dome UVB or Heat lamp (Looked similar to a Powersun from what I remember). Seeing the condition in which those babies were in, I tried giving my sulcata a better enclosure only for his health to deteriorate after a few months together.

Thank you again for your response, I will make those changes for my tortoise enclosures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make all the needed changes. Soak him as you were and add piedialyte to the soak water. Make the tub to soak in big enough the baby can move around a lot. Try to keep him moving. The movement can help get the insides moving and hopefully get things passing thru again.
Good luck. Keep us updated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, thank you for your response

After reading your post on “Hatchling Failure Syndrome,” a lot of those symptoms are present in my tortoise. This tortoise was handed down to me after the original buyer lost interest in the Sulcata so I attempted to educate myself on their proper care but have now realized I was messing up with the aspects of the enclosure that you mentioned, thank you for informing me better. After about two weeks of having the tortoise under my care I went back to the Pet shop they were being sold at only to find about 10-15 baby sulcata in a 10 Gallon tank with some romaine as well as a single deep dome UVB or Heat lamp (Looked similar to a Powersun from what I remember). Seeing the condition in which those babies were in, I tried giving my sulcata a better enclosure only for his health to deteriorate after a few months together.

Thank you again for your response, I will make those changes for my tortoise enclosures.
I wish you the best of luck, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We are here to help.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I completely understand where you're coming from, Bill. But I think it deserves saying that this option comes with a possibly astronomical cost...the agonizing, slow death of that suffering baby, and the OP having to watch it happen.
Or it could be euthanized and replaced for far less cost than treating it. Maybe that would be the best option. In the end, it's up to the owner to decide these things.

Personally, I would euthanize it and get a new healthy one from a reliable breeder.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Zovick I absolutely know where you are coming from...however, I personally would do everything I have learned about Sulcata over the years, and I (would NOW) do all the stuff we have recommended over the years, closed chamber etc...I was taught this...about eggs, you keep them until they hatch or explode...I use the same context in Sulcata babies...keep working on them until they get better or die...I do understand that I know more about what to do than most newcomers...I believe a newbie will give up, where as I won't. I am NOT bragging about my Sulcata knowledge which is considered minimal, but I know if you do absolutely everything we know to do, sometimes they live, and that's what I shoot for...I do stuff like hold them and mess with them so they are not just sitting around with closed eyes, soak in carrots, and maybe add pedialite, (I never have used that)...I use whatever I have learned and I just don't give up...I use 100% of my whatever talent I have to make them live...Personally, I don't anymore believe that a newcomer can save a baby who is as far gone as it sounds...it takes time and patience and our collective knowledge to save them...I am at the well never mind...