Hybrid, Leopcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
yagyujubei said:
Well eventhough your answer to my post seems concise and factual, much of what you said is merely conjecture, and some is simply not true.

We'll see about that.

Dogs are not "domesticated wolves" they are not canis lupus. They are their own distinct species, very different from their progenitors.

Wrong. The latest genetic research has shown that the dog comes from wolves domesticated in southern Asia - probably the Arabian, Indian, or Tibetan wolf subspecies. With the exception of some rare hybridization events with coyotes and golden jackals (their next closest relatives), dogs are pure, domesticated wolves, Canis lupus familiaris.

New evidence says that horses were domesticated over 9000 years ago. I have seen no evidence that says that their emergence led to the decline of wild equines.Same thing with the aurochs, hunting was the cause of their extinction. The last herd lived in Poland in the 1400's, protected by the king. There is evidence thast says that aurochs were pitted in the roman arenas.

Horses went extinct in North America around 10,000 years ago, probably due at least in part to over-hunting. In the Eastern Hemisphere, the horse was probably domesticated, as you say, around 9,000 years ago on the Eurasian steppes. Horses were then used as war transport and beasts of burden while agrarian civilization spread. This cut down on habitat available to wild animals, then as now. Hunting was also a factor. Thus, except for the Mongolian wild horse, the only horses to survive were those that had been domesticated.

Ditto for cattle. Aurochs were domesticated some 10,000 years ago for use as beasts of burden, meat, and milk. Again, as civilization spread, wild aurochs lost habitat, while domesticated aurochs survived alongside humans. Again, over-hunting was also a problem. The reason aurochs were down to only a few individuals in Poland during the 1600s was because of all that hunting and agrarian expansion that took place up to that point.

Your whole objection seems to be based on the assumption that these tortoise hybrids are fertile.

Wrong. Fertile or sterile, I think it's wrong to artificially hybridize animals that have been separated by millions of years of divergent evolution.

What makes you think that.

I don't know if they're fertile or sterile. Like most people, I am curious. We'll probably find out in the near future as people's hybrids reach maturity. If they're fertile, they jeopardize captive stocks of each species. If they're sterile, then we have bred unhealthy animals for no reason (fertility is an aspect of health). Either way, we lose.

Most hybrid animals are not able to reproduce naturally.

That is true for mammals, yes, although as other TFO members have pointed out, hybrid reptiles appear to retain fertility more easily than hybrid mammals. This is probably because mammals have chromosomal sex determination, while reptiles have environmental sex determination.

I suspect, though, that even if they do prove to be infertile, you would still object.

Correct.

Your entire argument seems to be against any scientific study or advances.

My argument relies on the most recent biological research, as well as ethics.

Your way of thinking seems a little narrow minded to me.

Why?

If you think that beefalos raised in the seventies are the reason wild bison don't roam everywhere anymore, I'm just not sure where they are supposed to roam. I think it just might have something to do with the government attempt to kill the indians in the 1800's, followed by the large western cattle ranches unwilling to share their almost free leases of government land with the native bison. I'm just sayin'

Yep, great points. Bison were reduced from 30 million down to 500 animals due to over-hunting, industrialism, and white genocide against Indians. A number of obstacles, as you pointed out, have arisen since then. However, today the Buffalo Commons movement seeks to reintroduce bison to the Great Plains, both for conservation and commercial use. Since the 1970s, the demand for bison ranching has grown, such that today we have 500,000 bison. Most of that demand has come from bison meat, which is good and good for you.

The problem with cattle introgression is that it makes it harder to introduce bison into new areas, because people are concerned they will pollute the gene pool of full-blooded bison. If no one had bred "beefalo" or "cattalo" 100 years ago, it might be easier to expand bison ranching and conservation today.

What will our descendants say about us 100 years from now?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Good post, GTT.

I'm sorry...I cannot resist. I was watching Big Bang Theory the other night and this line seems applicable.

"Dennis, would you like some Aloe Vera? Because you just got burned."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a note this has been moved to the debate section. my thoughts on this is well known.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
This thread is fascinating! Its interesting to see a hybrid tortoise though I am conflicted. Hybrid pythons are becoming increasingly poplar in the pet trade. I think they look pretty cool. Ecologically I see no problem creating some of these hybrids. On the flip side, as a former commercial breeder of poison dart frogs I do see a problem. Locality specific colonies of PDFs exhibit so many unique and mysterious colors, patterns, and behaviors. Many are not recognized subspecies. Yet many people mix them. With the rapid decline of amphibians in the neotropics it is essential to have captive colonies separated by locality. It would be a tragedy to lose a morph because of mixing bloodlines.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
As stated before, the issue is not exclusive to hybrids. Doug Dix of DeerFern Farms, famous for captive-bred Uromastyx lizards, also keeps and breeds chuckwalla lizards. In one interview, he stated that they don't interest him that much personally, but he only works with them simply because hardly anyone else does. Chuckwallas are protected in much of their natural range, so collection of wild specimens is not a viable option anymore (which in many ways, is a good thing). But as for the market, maybe 20 people or less deal with them. Doug continues to breed them and sell them because there's always going to be someone out there who wants a chuckwalla.

Likewise, not many people deal with ringed pythons. They are not easy to import in large numbers and only a handful of folks in the U.S. breed them. I mean, if Tom Koegen in Florida suddenly had a fire burn down his facility, there goes half the ringed python breeding stock in the country.

It certainly puts things in perspective, when it comes to preserving any obscure species, subspecies, natural intergrade, or locality, etc. People take these things for granted, but one day, someone is going to say, "Hey, where did all the _____ go?" and the answer will simply be: no one really took the time and effort into working with them, so bloodlines got muddied and eventually, the pure stock faded into the industry.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
If these are being bred exclusively for the pet trade, I really don't see a major problem with it.

It's what the breeder chooses to do in order to make money. These breeders in particular are not bringing the animals into the world to preserve a species.

If the recipient breeds the hybrids and sells them into the pet trade and so on, there could be a line of hybrids being sold as something else. I guess that's why most people recommend getting to know your breeder in order to know what you're getting. But again these are pets and not something to be taken to Africa and set free to pee in nature's gene pool.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
jtrux said:
People have trouble giving mutt dogs away so why charge 2k for a mutt tortoise, doesn't make sense to me.

Mutts sell much better if you give them a cool name and refer to them as a Designer Dog... ;)

mutt-choodle-chihuahua-toy-poodle-mix.jpg

Peruvian Hamster Hound - $750

OTOH, if you call the above a chihuahua-toy poodle mix, you're lucky to give them away...weird, huh?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok ... I've tried so hard for a week..... to "zip the lip"

Oh No Terry…..you have a Hybrid dog ? ….Your going to ruin the world , the dog breeds , fish and birds! …don’t you know Hybrids are a NO NO …<sly grin>:cool: . It seriously cracks me up to see how many get worked up and their so called ethics on Hybrids. I wonder what their opinion would be on Human crosses…Oh wait were ALL homo sapiens so that’s ok …..right? Yet I have never seen one tortoise , dog or animal, cause more havoc within their own species other than MAN ( it‘s gotta be in the DNA huh ? ) . …..and honest it would take hundreds of years to see if it really was a problem …. Just like what we try and compare to “ what’s supposed to be known fact today” . Your really think there is 500 years left here on Earth? …. REALLY?………..
Another thing with this boundary line BS…….If your talking about 100’s of years back ….there were no
“ LINES” then . Your example of boundaries….what you mean a river? …Mountain range? …. HA! ….Tribes from around the world have used the tortoise as a food staple and in ceremonies….. for ions . So try and imagine your fake African boundary line-……… Tort A on one side and tort B on the other ……ya invite me over for dinner , I want to bring something to share ….10 torts on a rope ( yes they were used by European Shipmates and explorers as a major food source…Easy to thread on a rope and hang for storage, also one heck of a cool dish , among other things such as spear heads from its shell. Anyhow….I show up for the BB-Q after crossing the river in my boat ….gotta hit the head , set my 10 torts on a rope down . Too much coffee that am ..Wait coffee wasn’t invented then yet either … ( ha ha ha :p ) longer than expected …come back to find 10 on a rope is down to 8 …..two of them escaped. Gosh darn …..I just introduced a tortoise on the other side of the river……within an other “species ONLY boundary ” <~~~made up name by Man.
Two years later it mates with “ the other side of the boundary tort “ Wa La ! ,,,,, You have a hybrid !
Most who like to back the “ purist thing” are taking in info from BOOKS not actual hands on research in the field of genetics of herps … most of which are very outdated. The tort world is some what new to genetic science and unless YOU have DNA results from this , your “ just talking out your ARSE” ( I think that was used and legal ) . Very soon I will have a patent on a service that WILL produce ACCURATE results in pure DNA Testing , Sexing and just about anything you want to know about your torts “make up”( At any age) . We have been working on this technology for a few years and trying to bring it to a level that’s affordable for the average consumer, not just Zoos, or Medical Institutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the “purists” torts have no DNA relations at all showing their endemic range. <~~~~~better word than “ boundaries‘” or genetic make up within different specimens’ within that area. Stay tuned and we shall see……………………

PS> TERRY …. KOOL UGLY PUREBRED MUTT ….( sorta reminds me of me after a night of partying)
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU v^v^

JD~:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I might add.... sure there “is” a locality /endemic range within species , but there is that “in-between” and always will be . And if in this case tortoises ...are not too far off within DNA makeup and fertility capabilities that can produce offspring....sorta makes ya wonder. WERE TALKING SCIENCE NOT ETHICS
To date I don’t know of a penguin x zebra cross.....It CAN'T happen.
JD~

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
N2TORTS said:
I might add.... sure there “is” a locality /endemic range within species , but there is that “in-between” and always will be . And if in this case tortoises ...are not too far off within DNA makeup and fertility capabilities that can produce offspring....sorta makes ya wonder. WERE TALKING SCIENCE NOT ETHICS
To date I don’t know of a penguin x zebra cross.....It CAN'T happen.
JD~

If it did happen, it'd sell better if we called it a "designer parrot"...or a "designer pony"...

We'll have to consult the Marketing Department, I suppose. :p

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
StudentoftheReptile said:
Good post, GTT.

I'm sorry...I cannot resist. I was watching Big Bang Theory the other night and this line seems applicable.

"Dennis, would you like some Aloe Vera? Because you just got burned."

BAZINGA! :D. Couldn't resist either!

Terry Allan Hall said:
If it did happen, it'd sell better if we called it a "designer parrot"...or a "designer pony"...

We'll have to consult the Marketing Department, I suppose. :p

A "Zenguin"!

I obviously have nothing to add to this thread but I found it very interesting to read. ;P

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
I don't think they should do that, huh!?

StudentoftheReptile said:
Half man, half horse's arse? Heck, I know some people who are 100% horse's arses!

lol :p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
N2TORTS said:
Ok ... I've tried so hard for a week..... to "zip the lip"

Oh No Terry…..you have a Hybrid dog ? ….Your going to ruin the world , the dog breeds , fish and birds! …don’t you know Hybrids are a NO NO …<sly grin>:cool: . It seriously cracks me up to see how many get worked up and their so called ethics on Hybrids. I wonder what their opinion would be on Human crosses…Oh wait were ALL homo sapiens so that’s ok …..right?

Technically any crossing of DNA is "hybridization." But when we use the term "hybrid," we are referring to an interspecific hybrid, i.e. an artificial cross that would not happen if the animals were free to choose their own mates.

A mutt dog is not a hybrid, because all dogs are domestic wolves in the same species and subspecies.

A mixed human is not a hybrid, because all humans are in the same species and subspecies.

Can't say the same for artificially induced hybrids between tortoise species that would never mate unless deprived of their own kind.

Yet I have never seen one tortoise , dog or animal, cause more havoc within their own species other than MAN ( it‘s gotta be in the DNA huh ? )

Well, we are the most intelligent animal on the planet - free to use that intelligence constructively or destructively.

…..and honest it would take hundreds of years to see if it really was a problem …. Just like what we try and compare to “ what’s supposed to be known fact today” . Your really think there is 500 years left here on Earth? …. REALLY?………..

Of course I do.

Another thing with this boundary line BS…….If your talking about 100’s of years back ….there were no “ LINES” then. Your example of boundaries….what you mean a river? …Mountain range? …. HA! ….Tribes from around the world have used the tortoise as a food staple and in ceremonies….. for ions . So try and imagine your fake African boundary line-……… Tort A on one side and tort B on the other ……ya invite me over for dinner , I want to bring something to share ….10 torts on a rope ( yes they were used by European Shipmates and explorers as a major food source…Easy to thread on a rope and hang for storage, also one heck of a cool dish , among other things such as spear heads from its shell. Anyhow….I show up for the BB-Q after crossing the river in my boat ….gotta hit the head , set my 10 torts on a rope down . Too much coffee that am ..Wait coffee wasn’t invented then yet either … ( ha ha ha :p ) longer than expected …come back to find 10 on a rope is down to 8 …..two of them escaped. Gosh darn …..I just introduced a tortoise on the other side of the river……within an other “species ONLY boundary ” <~~~made up name by Man. Two years later it mates with “ the other side of the boundary tort “ Wa La ! ,,,,, You have a hybrid !

Remember, anatomically modern humans evolved some 200,000 years ago, and we went through a bottleneck some 80,000 years ago. We left Africa only some 40,000 years ago, and humans arrived in the Americas only some 14,000 years ago.

Meanwhile, tortoise species diverged from each other millions and millions of years ago, due to dispersal, isolation from natural barriers, etc.

Sure, humans have an impact on our environment; we're animals, too. But we are unique animals - very unique - in that we have morality. We can actually stand back and evaluate what we're doing, and assess whether it is good or bad.

Now, I ask you: why would you want to jeopardize creatures that were finely honed over millions of years of evolution into their current, amazing form?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
No Geo ... I wouldn’t change a thing ..Nor do I endorse it. I guess what more of the focus is ..." just how true" that animal is because we say so ? And your right species vs species is different ... maybe more of the focus is on "locality" such is in the redfoot debates. The river factor was ment to be in that analogy of Hybrids could and probably did take place all through out time, and like you mention when man was introduced to those areas things changed .... species crossed lines. So now in this century we are going to label an exact range on which breed is exactly from what area? I honestly don’t think that’s possible , until further research as mentioned can " trace" that sort of linage. A great example of a Perfect Race Tortoise would be the two Island Torts the Galapagos and the Aldabra....two untouched islands for 1,000 s of years with no intervention by man.

PS:... Where you stashing all these resources were going to need in 500 years~ ;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
N2TORTS said:
No Geo ... I wouldn’t change a thing ..Nor do I endorse it. I guess what more of the focus is ..." just how true" that animal is because we say so ? And your right species vs species is different ... maybe more of the focus is on "locality" such is in the redfoot debates. The river factor was ment to be in that analogy of Hybrids could and probably did take place all through out time, and like you mention when man was introduced to those areas things changed .... species crossed lines. So now in this century we are going to label an exact range on which breed is exactly from what area? I honestly don’t think that’s possible , until further research as mentioned can " trace" that sort of linage. A great example of a Perfect Race Tortoise would be the two Island Torts the Galapagos and the Aldabra....two untouched islands for 1,000 s of years with no intervention by man.

PS:... Where you stashing all these resources were going to need in 500 years~ ;)

Well, you certainly raise a fair point about two areas of uncertainty: 1) the history of a group of animals, and 2) how long it has been since they have been isolated from others.

Here's a great example with our own species. Humans and chimps are obviously very different now, but that's because we've been separated for about 6 million years. However, early on in the split, it seems that the two lineages still hybridized every now and then:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1283664...himp-human-ancestors-interbreed/#.UGiO0U2jw40

That couldn't happen now, but it was possible back then, because our common ancestor had not fully diverged yet. The same may be said when comparing any two groups of animals. Go back for enough, and they come from the same group. It's just that today, with our humanly powers, we can go beyond the kind of natural hybridization that goes in on early divergence, and force hybridization in lineages that are fully separated. I think that should be avoided.

As for distribution in the past, that's one of my favorite topics. :) For example, there used to be horses, camels, elephants, and lions right here where I'm sitting in Colorado, and may have been wiped out in part due to human activities. Getting back to tortoises, the Mexican bolson tortoise also used to be found north of the Rio Grande. However, since this was during pre-Colombian times, the federal government refuses to reintroduce them into national parks, like Big Bend NP, for example. Fortunately, wealthy conservationists like Ted Turner are willing to reintroduce them onto their own private property, as in New Mexico, where they're doing fine.

Now, when you're talking about the leopard and sulcata tortoises, I don't know how closely their ranges today reflect their ranges in the past. Perhaps they used to be more widespread, perhaps they used to be less widespread, I just don't know. Nevertheless, because they diverged so long ago, I don't think that is relevant to the question of whether they should be hybridized. They are so different, that they should remain separate.

We could look at other examples, too. We've already talked about how closely related all box turtles are, and how closely related all redfoot tortoises are (including cherry-heads). We could also talk about how closely related all Mediterranean tortoises are. Nevertheless, I still think it is worth keeping them separate, because our mixing them would probably not improve their fitness, and could reduce it.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very well said Geo and great writing skills to boot …. ( both you and Mark are superb writers) Also a classy debate …..and Like I’ve said before your “ one smart cookie” With a lot of folks learning I’m sure!
I still wonder though if such a different species , than why are they able to produce offspring? I guess what drew my interests to them years back . I have herd of a radi x RF but no “ hard” proof. RFx YF common ….and much of the Leo’s today are washed genes…. Aren’t those different species ( that would have different DNA but produced offsprings) or in the Leo case sub species….?
Darwin once wrote … “No one definition has satisfied all naturalists; yet every naturalist knows vaguely what he means when he speaks of a species. Generally the term includes the unknown element of a distinct act of creation.”

JD~:)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
N2TORTS said:
Very well said Geo and great writing skills to boot …. ( both you and Mark are superb writers) Also a classy debate …..and Like I’ve said before your “ one smart cookie” With a lot of folks learning I’m sure!
I still wonder though if such a different species , than why are they able to produce offspring? I guess what drew my interests to them years back . I have herd of a radi x RF but no “ hard” proof. RFx YF common ….and much of the Leo’s today are washed genes…. Aren’t those different species ( that would have different DNA but produced offsprings) or in the Leo case sub species….?
Darwin once wrote … “No one definition has satisfied all naturalists; yet every naturalist knows vaguely what he means when he speaks of a species. Generally the term includes the unknown element of a distinct act of creation.”

JD~:)

Thank you. You're a smart cookie, too. I think we're now getting to the important aspects of this debate, which are, 1) if these animals can hybridize, then why not let them? And 2) If we let them, what harm can come from it? Allow me to repeat one line from your passage above:

"I still wonder though if such a different species , than why are they able to produce offspring?"

The answer I would offer is this. In nature, small differences in DNA can have big effects. Using humans as an example again, we are very closely related to chimps and bonobos, and only a little more distantly related to gorillas (all well above 90% relatedness). But it's those small genetic changes that made us what we are today, and them what they are today. We walk erect, they don't. They're hairy, we're not. They have big brains, but ours are even bigger. And so on.

Let's look at deer. Mule deer and whitetail deer are closely related, but they are usually found in different habitats. There are some areas, though, where they may meet, and when that happens, there's a small chance they may hybridize. Bucks that are mule deer x whitetail hybrids tend to have "funny-looking" antlers, which are not quite like one parent species, and not quite like the other. Also, when they flee from predators, their locomotion is a bit "funny," too. So, even though they are viable, and ever fertile (!), it's rare for them to pass on their genes. Partly because they are not as good at running away from danger. Even if they do, though, the does of either species do not prefer to mate with them. Thus, these hybrid bucks are doomed to a life of bachelorhood. :(

Let's look at canids, like wolves and coyotes. These two species are very closely related - close enough that the red wolf, which was once thought to be a separate species of canid, turns out to originate from a hybridization event between wolves and coyotes, with no unique genes having arisen since then. So, although matings between wolves and coyotes may result in reduced fertility, they don't always. This can give rise to a new group, like the red wolf. In general, though, when wolves meet coyotes, they don't mate with them. Usually, when wolves find coyotes they chase them down and expel them from their territories. And if they catch up with them, they usually kill them. Curious, isn't it? Why wouldn't they mate? They are capable of mating, but they don't. On the contrary, because they tend to compete, coyotes usually avoid wolves, and if they don't, they might end up getting killed. Turns out this has to do with a phenomenon known as competitive exclusion.

Within a given species, mating results in some degree of interbreeding. Not everybody mates with everyone else, obviously, but enough mixing goes on to keep the species together as a unit. That is, to prevent evolution into another species. However, sometimes populations split up for one reason or another (migration, famine, drought, new landscape features, whatever). If the separation is short, then the two populations may get back together and continue interbreeding. In that case, no speciation will occur. However, if the separation persists, and the two populations remain separate for a long time (thousands to millions of years), then they will eventually start evolving in different directions. New colors or morphologies may arise, new physiological traits may evolve, and new mating rituals may appear. Then, depending on how long the separation continues, if they ever meet again, individuals from one population will probably not choose to mate with those from another, even if they are still genetically compatible to one degree or another.

This lack of compatibility could have more significance than just mating. The two populations may have just drifted apart, in which case hybridization probably wouldn't have an impact on fitness. However, there could be more to it than that: the two populations may have become adapted to new conditions since their divergence. So, for example, if the first population stayed where it's wet and the other population moved somewhere drier, then the two groups would be adapted to two different levels of moisture or humidity.

Now, here's the kicker. Let's say some individual from the wet-adapted species successfully mates with another from the dry-adapted species. The babies hatch, and they are healthy, and even fertile. However, they're not as good at living in the wetter habitat as the one parent, and they're not as good at living in the drier habitat as the other parent. So, they are more likely to die in nature, because they are not well-adapted to either niche. In other words, they may be healthy and even fertile, but they are not as fit, so their chances of survival are lower.

Let's look at this from the standpoint of each parent. In the case of the male, it's probably not all that important if he mates with the "wrong" female. Short of getting a bad disease (which we know can definitely happen), he doesn't have much to lose. It's just a million sperm out of gazillions. If the baby dies, it doesn't really affect his father's fitness, from an evolutionary perspective. But now let's look at this from the female's point of view. She has to carry eggs or fetuses around until they're ready to be laid or born. That is a big investment of time and energy. It's a good risk to take if she mated with a fit male from her species. However, it's a bad risk to take if she mated with a male from another species, even a closely related one. For the reasons outlined above, the offspring of that union would be less likely to survive or breed. For that reason, the female should not mate with a male from even a closely related sister species.

Well, that's about it. Sorry for the long post, but I hope I've explained why even closely related species that could mate with each other usually do not. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.