Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello all, I currently have my Russian in a 5 foot by 3 foot tortoise table for the winter. Most of the tracks for Hurricane Sandy have it going up the Delaware and into the Delaware River which I live along. If it does come up the river there would be power outages. I'm just wondering if my Russian will be alright if the heat and UVB lamps go off for up to a week. The temps outside would be 50-70 F during the day and 35-45 at night but it will be warmer inside my home of course. I'm thinking he will just sleep through it but I'm sure.

I'm also unsure if evacuations will be needed, .5 miles away from the water and if does come up the river it will produce storm surge which flood the area. Storm drains could also clog around my city. In the event I have to evacuate, what would I be able to transport him in? His tortoise table is to heavy and big to take.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, I hope you don't have any problems with Sandy. Your Russian will be fine if you loose power, with what you said your temps would be in the house. If you do have to leave. Go to Home Depot, target, a store and get a under the bed store age box, or any other larger tote that you would be able to fit in your care along with everything else you may have to take with you. When you get the box, throw in an extra water dish, food plate, some tortoise mazuri or other dry food and some substrate, seal the box with the lid and it will be ready to go on the fly. If you have an extra lamp with a regular 60 watt house bulb throw that in too, that will help with some heat if needed for where you go. Be safe

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Russians are hardy. If you have to throw him a tupperware container with substrate for a few days to evacuate, your Russian will be just fine. As long as he is kept warm enough. Nature has plenty of cloudy days, so it won't hurt him to be without his light set-up for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.