Advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan67

5 Year Member
Hi

I'm planning on moving my baby Russian tortoise who is 1 from a 2ft 11 by 1ft 5 table to a 5ft 5 by 2ft 2 table. Clearly the space in the enclosure will be considerably bigger.currently I'm using an all in 1 UVA/UVB/ basking bulb. My concern is will he go to his warm spot enough as he will have a lot of room to walk around. Obviously the rest of his enclosure will be room temperature which averages between 70-80 degrees. Any advice will be appreciated thanks. I would also attach a photo of his current enclosure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yeah I'm sure he will, I imagine it will take him a few days to figure out his new enclosure and where everything is but he should naturally know when to go and get warmed up.
Are you going to add another source of UVB for the larger enclosure, like a strip UVB?

Jordan67

5 Year Member
I'm not sure because I only have limited amount of plugs I can use. Would it be necessary to have an extra UVA strip when he has a bulb for that? To give you a better understanding of the enclosure I will attach a pic of his current one and his new one. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364044729.506170.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364044745.089967.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hi Jordan,
Your little one should work out where everything is within a few days of moving in. I would suggest keeping the layout as similar as possible. An mvb would be ideal for your setup. All the uv the beby needs as well as light and heat. They are fine at room temperature at night. So turn everything off and let it cool down.

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
All of the things you mentioned are good. I have a basking light and infrared lights so I turn off the basking lights at night but keep the infrared on, because it gets cold in the basement.

Here is a pic of my 7ft by 3ft enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364094350.822953.jpg. It is lighter on the other side now because I got two more lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Jordon,
You mention your background temps are 70-80 in your home. Is this at night? And in winter? What are your cool end temps inside the enclosure at night and how are you measuring them?

Jordan67

5 Year Member
Hi ken well it's sort of still winter in England as it's getting below freezing outside. However my house is usually very warm and in the day room temperatures stay at between 70-80. I measure it with a thermometer. I'm not sure at night because I've not woken up in the middle of the night so I'm not sure what it is in the night

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you add a CHE on a thermostat, you won't need to guess at temps. I do this in that I like the security that while I'm out having dinner with my wife, I don't nerd to worry about monitoring once temps are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.