Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Joiner said:
So far so ... ok? here in the center of Delaware, where I am. But i'm hearing terrible things from around the state. Flooding, and a few of our towns seem to have disappeared underwater. My mom lives in Cape May, NJ and her and my stepfather decided to "wait it out". Sigh. Been calling her constantly and saying as many mantras to send her way and everyone else in the storm path.

That's so scary D: I'm in SoCal so it's all sunny here but I'm praying for everyone out on the east coast! Hope everyone will be ok along with there tort's! I've been afraid that we will have members that "disappeared" D:

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I still have power in Queens but my family on LI lost it about an hour ago...the Russians and Sulcata are in the dark! :(

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Sending thoughts, prayers, and positive vibes from here in Indiana. Keep the babies warm of course, but remember that if you aren't safe also, there wont be anyone to take care of the torts. Be safe everyone.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
We're okay in MA just had the worst down pours I've seen in my almost 32 years. Lots of flooding around my city. A metal street sign fell but thankfully the trees here look good aside from full tress now have no leaves and some smaller branches down. We thankfully kept power at my house. But most of the city lost it at times.

I must admit living here my whole life I LOVE storms like this. But an idea if how bad it was. Last year we got hit with Irene. I stood outside the whole time a few times having to grab hold if the railing not to blow away. (I'm a little person :p ) I stayed out this time but didn't go to the end of the steps the wind was too bad for even me. The beach is about ten minutes away. I wanted to go but it was so bad over there with beach erosion. They're waiting for the high tide at midnight now.

No school tomorrow for kids here but crews are out everywhere and the worst of it seems past us. Still raining some and the wind is far more mild then earlier still steady but nothing worrisome. The Boston area and MA in general did a pretty good job with this. Taking precautions and getting power back on quickly in many places.

Sheldon my red foot was going crazy most of the day. I think the sounds freaked him out or something but he's okay. Sound asleep now.

We're out of the woods here but NYC is under water and most of my Dads family live on the Jersey Shore including my grandmother who just had surgery days ago. I'm still praying for everybody!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
DaisyDuke said:
We're okay in MA just had the worst down pours I've seen in my almost 32 years. Lots of flooding around my city. A metal street sign fell but thankfully the trees here look good aside from full tress now have no leaves and some smaller branches down. We thankfully kept power at my house. But most of the city lost it at times.

I must admit living here my whole life I LOVE storms like this. But an idea if how bad it was. Last year we got hit with Irene. I stood outside the whole time a few times having to grab hold if the railing not to blow away. (I'm a little person :p ) I stayed out this time but didn't go to the end of the steps the wind was too bad for even me. The beach is about ten minutes away. I wanted to go but it was so bad over there with beach erosion. They're waiting for the high tide at midnight now.

No school tomorrow for kids here but crews are out everywhere and the worst of it seems past us. Still raining some and the wind is far more mild then earlier still steady but nothing worrisome. The Boston area and MA in general did a pretty good job with this. Taking precautions and getting power back on quickly in many places.

Sheldon my red foot was going crazy most of the day. I think the sounds freaked him out or something but he's okay. Sound asleep now.

We're out of the woods here but NYC is under water and most of my Dads family live on the Jersey Shore including my grandmother who just had surgery days ago. I'm still praying for everybody!

I would LOVE to stand out in one of those storms :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just watched a special report on Sandy. All you TFO members that live in the way of her, be safe. If Sandy hasn't hit you yet, but coming your way, bring your torts in. Just don't take the chance. Again, hoping all is safe

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
I am also in Cleveland. I am not too worried about my tort. The waves on Lake Erie are crazy high! We are really wet and cold but not too bad. We are waiting for the school closing for my school tomorrow. Stay safe all you people who have it a lot worse than me! May god bless you!

All the schools around me are closed ... I am losing my roof 10 - 20 shingles at a time, I have lost the gutters on the front of my house and I am afraid a 65 foot pine tree in the back yard is going to fall over, it is seriously leaning and when the wind blows the ground pulls up. My friend two streets over had a big tree uprooted and it fell on the neighbors house and thru their family room. We are having 50-70 mile an hour gusts. So far we are lucky we still have power. Sending postive thoughts out to everyone. Stay safe my friends.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Watsonpartyof4 said:
All the schools around me are closed ... I am losing my roof 10 - 20 shingles at a time, I have lost the gutters on the front of my house and I am afraid a 65 foot pine tree in the back yard is going to fall over, it is seriously leaning and when the wind blows the ground pulls up. My friend two streets over had a big tree uprooted and it fell on the neighbors house and thru their family room. We are having 50-70 mile an hour gusts. So far we are lucky we still have power. Sending postive thoughts out to everyone. Stay safe my friends.

We lost power for two hours, it is back on for now, but continues to flicker. As soon as power went out I covered Tyrone's enclosure with a down filled comforter. The temps held steady at 75 I was getting ready to add some hot water bottles when the power came back on!

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
terryo said:
A while back we had a blackout and at the time I only had one small Cherry Head (Pio). Didn't have a clue what to do to keep her warm, so I wrapped her in a wash cloth and put her in my pj shirt, and that's how we slept all night. She never moved...thank God. Now I fill up empty coke bottles with hot water and put them around her vivarium.

That is so cute!

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
Hurricane

Wasn't sure where to put this.

So we haven't had power sense around 2 yesterday. We do have a generator that is powering the entire house, but when the power went out, somehow my MVB light exploded. No clue what happened. I have extra lights but had to evacuate my torts from that room because I was worried about toxins in the light and stuff. So now my lamp doesn't work either.

My question is, does anyone have any effective ways to keep my Sulcata warm?! My 3 Redfoots are unaffected, humidity and temp still perfect. Thanks, any advice welcome! I hope everyone else is staying safe!!!

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
Whaou i see on TV, i think a lot to all of them were under the hurricane.
I wish everyone and every tortoise and turtles are ok.
Best wish from France ;)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Hope all is fine? Did it hit Canada? Or Going Ti...My Auntie Lives In Ontario...would this affect her? ...glad we dont' have storms like this prayers from UK ...Could this be the end of the world?...The Calendar ending? :p
((HUGS))

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Wishing you all caught by Hurricane Sandy a quick recovery. So sorry that you all have to endure all these hardships. Take care and be safe!
:tort:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Finally got out power back. Still can't find Pi or Chewy (two of my box turtles) All others safe. I'm hoping they are dug down in the high part of the hibernation cave, but I can't reach that sections yet. We lost some friends who drowned in their basement, and some friends lost their homes. I'm taking in another friends turtles and another's Yellow foot until they find a place to live. The shelter's are over run now and there is no food left or clothes here. A girl trying to evacuate ....the water rushed in and literally pulled her two children from her arms into the water....devastation all over the place. We only lost some of our roof, and my family is all safe. There is no gas anywhere and people are waiting on lines for hours, and some people are sleeping there. No one can go to work, and some schools can't open because people are staying there....I don't think that NY has ever lived through anything like this. We were so lucky.
Where I live:
406896_105070899656125_1224337514_n.jpg

404353_105297669633448_1775196758_n.jpg

398329_105100279653187_1050240202_n.jpg

387705_105084596321422_839583646_n.jpg

384252_105217316308150_329445959_n.jpg

318828_105088292987719_554837292_n.jpg

182524_105104939652721_1804260024_n.jpg

3758_105297316300150_791809200_n.jpg

hurricane-sandy-storm-damage-staten-island.jpg

11788264-standard.jpg

546902_105078339655381_620389471_n.jpg

547046_105070069656208_1971371662_n.jpg

599089_105077536322128_184922688_n.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Terry...that's terrible about your friends. But we're very thankful that you are ok. We've been worried. Your pictures are just awful. Well, not the pictures themselves, but you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.