Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
Stay safe everyone. If anyone needs something in the Delaware area I will be driving into town hopefully right after the storm. If you need something I can bring from Michigan let me know.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We're right on the path. I'm scared to death. I dug up all my box turtles that were in the hibernation cave and put them in tubs in the garage with leaf litter. I couldn't fine Pi and Chewy. Hopefully they have dug under on the high end. I'm going out in a bit and look for them again. Everything in the yard is tied down as best I could. I have a lot of empty bottles that I'll fill with hot water to put in with the Cherries. The wind is already blowing and the waves are up into the street already. I've never been so scared. Be safe everyone and God bless.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Soda bottles and warm cloths good ideas. We're supposed to get up to 70mph winds and a few inches of rain. Not too bad on the rain but still want to be ready for anything :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We're getting it too. I'm so scared! Couldn't find two of my boxies. Put all the others in tubs in the garage. We'll be losing power soon. Hope everyone stays safe.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Concerning the water bottles, remember, the water in your water heater tank will stay warm for awhile. This is a good source for warm water.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Concerning the water bottles, remember, the water in your water heater tank will stay warm for awhile. This is a good source for warm water.

Yep! Good Idea. I have Tyrone's emergency enclosure all ready to go

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Looks like it's first making landfall in Delaware, Maryland, and New Jersey.

map_tropprjpath18_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

If it's already gusty and raining, what will it be like Monday night into Tuesday morning? I really hope the power doesn't go out. I heard to prepare for at least a week of power loss if it's bad. I'll have to take the tortoise to my parents house since they have a generator.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
I was also thinking of boiling water and letting it sit then putting it in bottles. We have a gas stove.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
DaisyDuke said:
I was also thinking of boiling water and letting it sit then putting it in bottles. We have a gas stove.

I hope everyone is safe!

I am near Cleveland Ohio, we have lots of flooding along the lakeshore and the Black river, and High winds right now, kinda scary sounding, lights have flickered. But thankfully we still have power! We have a fireplace so I think we will be ok if the power does go out, I could boil water there.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I talked to my team in DE this morning and they said its already crazy windy.

Most of them have lost power. :( I am so worried for all of them. I offered to drive my big truck and and bring them all back to MI but there are like 12 people and I don't think I can cram them all in. :( I am so worried here. I feel like throwing up.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Joiner said:
So, it looks like Sandy will be hitting us directly. We have water, plenty of food, we're even watching my sister's Jack Russell (Much to Blue's amusement). But the one thing I am worried about is heating for my tort babies, especially my little Leopard Rory. Does anyone have any tips?

A little "ot" BUT I hope you have enough TP too! LOL. Thats what most of my friends and family said they forgot about the last time they had the big blizzard.

Laura said:
hothands, those little packets... if you can find them... camp stove to heat water for water bottles? woodburning stove, fireplace and place enclosure close to it...

Also, if you can't find those they have those instant heat packs for sore muscles. They even have sticky patches on them to stick to your skin so you can stick them on the sides of your enclosure.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
A big section of siding by the attic is blowing off, but it's to high for me to do anything about now. I'm afraid I'll blow off the roof.

Power's still on so far but it's not really here yet and it's gotten stronger. Tonight will be the worst of it.

I'm trying not to worry too much. As long as the house doesn't blow down insurance will cover everything else. Hopefully everyone will stay safe and indoors.

Hantslad

5 Year Member
Sending very best wishes to all those in the path of Sandy, we will be thinking of you.

Love and thoughts from the UK!!! xxxx

Joiner

5 Year Member
The only thing I had wished to have gotten were a nice pair of rubber boots. I mean other then for the obvious reasons, everywhere being under water, my feet are getting soaked with taking these dogs outside. I even lost a shoe in the mud!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I hope everyone stays safe!! I will be thinking about all of you for the next few days. Keep us updated when possible.

Hantslad

5 Year Member
danosaurous said:
Lost power as of 2:57 today. Thank goodness for generator backup to keep the torts warm :)

Good luck and we're thinking of you all. xx

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Watsonpartyof4 said:
I hope everyone is safe!

I am near Cleveland Ohio, we have lots of flooding along the lakeshore and the Black river, and High winds right now, kinda scary sounding, lights have flickered. But thankfully we still have power! We have a fireplace so I think we will be ok if the power does go out, I could boil water there.

I am also in Cleveland. I am not too worried about my tort. The waves on Lake Erie are crazy high! We are really wet and cold but not too bad. We are waiting for the school closing for my school tomorrow. Stay safe all you people who have it a lot worse than me! May god bless you!

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Our news in Canada (southern Ontario) is saying we are suppose to get it bad here I live approx 25 mins from buffalo New York

Joiner

5 Year Member
So far so ... ok? here in the center of Delaware, where I am. But i'm hearing terrible things from around the state. Flooding, and a few of our towns seem to have disappeared underwater. My mom lives in Cape May, NJ and her and my stepfather decided to "wait it out". Sigh. Been calling her constantly and saying as many mantras to send her way and everyone else in the storm path.

Status
Not open for further replies.