Humidity Levels

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I need to know the humidity levels for a 5 year old Sulcata. I've been seeing 20-80% which isn't particularly helpful...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That huge range suggests you don't have a closed chamber. Have we seen photos of your enclosure and lighting?

How old/big is your Sulcata?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need to know the humidity levels for a 5 year old Sulcata. I've been seeing 20-80% which isn't particularly helpful...

Babies need it higher to simulate the monsoon season. Adults can survive with out higher humidity, but it helps if their shelters and burrows retain some humidity. In the hot summer, I shoot the hose down their burrows when they are not in them a couple times a week. Not a lot, but enough to add some humidity down there. In the winter, all of my heated night boxes have water tubs to add some much needed humidity to their warm sleeping quarters.

How much for a five year old? Doesn't really matter. Feed your tortoise the right foods, soak your tortoise regularly, try to add some humidity to the sleeping quarters when warm, and don't think too much about it.

Tortski

Arizona
Sorry, I meant online. I just got a hydrometer/thermometer thing yesterday. This humidity has stayed around 20 and 30.

5 years, 1 foot 7 by 11 inches last I measured

Tortski

Arizona
Babies need it higher to simulate the monsoon season. Adults can survive with out higher humidity, but it helps if their shelters and burrows retain some humidity. In the hot summer, I shoot the hose down their burrows when they are not in them a couple times a week. Not a lot, but enough to add some humidity down there. In the winter, all of my heated night boxes have water tubs to add some much needed humidity to their warm sleeping quarters.

How much for a five year old? Doesn't really matter. Feed your tortoise the right foods, soak your tortoise regularly, try to add some humidity to the sleeping quarters when warm, and don't think too much about it.
Okay, thanks

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I am in Arizona , and do as Tom said . I keep a container of water in his night box , but other than that I don't really worry to much about it . I was pretty serious about keeping it between 80 to 90 % when he was inside ! He will do a lot better once he is outside as Big Charlie said . Speedy is 3 and this will be his 2nd winter outside .

N 1.jpg

Tortski

Arizona
I am in Arizona , and do as Tom said . I keep a container of water in his night box , but other than that I don't really worry to much about it . I was pretty serious about keeping it between 80 to 90 % when he was inside ! He will do a lot better once he is outside as Big Charlie said . Speedy is 3 and this will be his 2nd winter outside .

View attachment 221301
Such a cutie! Currently he only has a water bowl that changes it. I promise, we are trying to get the outdoor cage up, but a family member recently has been diagnosed with cancer, so we don't really have money to spend on that stuff.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

View attachment 221301
Speedy is looking good!