humidity levels - how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
my tort is a year old now. his shell looks great. wondering how long i need to keep humidity at high levels? by this winter, i will have to get him in a new habitat and i'm concerned about being able to keep the humidity levels as good as they are now? just wondering how old they need to be before humidity isn't quite as much of a concern?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From my understanding. The high levels are for hatchling to a year. I dropped mine for my leopard once he got to be a year old. They still need to be soaked and i still keep half of his indoor house damp and I run his humidifier at night only now about 3-4 times a week. I still keep some humidity, but I don't keep the constant high. I will also spray the outdoor enclosure when its really hot to up thd humidity and to make sure he doesn't over heat. My understanding is that once they get to a certain age, year probably even younger, the way they are growing is the way they will continue to grow. See what others say and do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's size, not age. Once a sulcata gets to be about 6-8" long, the pattern for shell growth is pretty well set and you can relax a bit. I still think a humid hide to sleep in their indoor habitat is a good thing but humidity becomes much less critical after that size.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks. tom - he is not quite 4 3/4 inches right now and looking good. i will keep up the humidity for awhile longer. hate to mess with something that's working right now and then have problems. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Once my guys hit about 4" or so, they stay outside in their planted enclosures all day everyday, weather permitting, of course. I still bring them inside at night to sleep in their humid enclosures, but its very dry here all day long while they are outside.

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
Tom said:
It's size, not age. Once a sulcata gets to be about 6-8" long, the pattern for shell growth is pretty well set and you can relax a bit. I still think a humid hide to sleep in their indoor habitat is a good thing but humidity becomes much less critical after that size.
Great info as usual tom :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.