Humidity help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Hello all,

My sulcata's tank is in desperate need of more humidity. One of his main lights is in a long lamp, like a mini version of what's above a pool table, so I can't put anything under it and close off the area to create more heat, tho I can at night. In looking into foggers/misters/watching you tube videos of kids converting humidifiers into foggers, I want to know: What is the cheapest and most effective thing you can recommend to produce humidity? He's still a little baby and his habitat is going to change a lot when I move in July, so I don't want anything expensive that I'm going to have to toss.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Show us a pic and we may have some suggestions for you.

Here are some general things that can be done to raise humidity:
Cover as much of the top as you can.
Add more water to the appropriate substrate. (cypress mulch, orchid bark, coco, etc...)
Humidify the whole room.
Spray the cage, furnishings and tortoise several times a day with plain water.
Provide a proper humid hide box. This will go a long way to helping keep a smooth shell, even if the rest of the cage is not as humid as you would like. Train them to sleep in the box by putting them in there every night after lights out. Usually they will start to go in on their own in time.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thank you, Tom. I'll take some pictures this evening. Do you recommend my buying a Zoo med fogger or any of those kinds of things? I am buying a humidifier today and will keep it in his room, door closed. I spray him often. His hide box is made out of cardboard, which I assume is not proper for humidity. Would tupperwear be favorable? I also wet his coir every morning, tho I was just spraying it before yesterday, so I think this is helping a little bit. Thank you very much again.

Tom said:
Show us a pic and we may have some suggestions for you.

Here are some general things that can be done to raise humidity:
Cover as much of the top as you can.
Add more water to the appropriate substrate. (cypress mulch, orchid bark, coco, etc...)
Humidify the whole room.
Spray the cage, furnishings and tortoise several times a day with plain water.
Provide a proper humid hide box. This will go a long way to helping keep a smooth shell, even if the rest of the cage is not as humid as you would like. Train them to sleep in the box by putting them in there every night after lights out. Usually they will start to go in on their own in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.