Fog vs Mist for humidity maintenance.

Hello,

I'm currently looking into options to automatically keep the humidity up in our closed chamber for a small leopard tortoise. I've seen both foggers and misters available and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm thinking that fog might be better to get the humidity up but likely wouldn't last as long, hence requiring more frequent "fogging".

Does anyone have a thought, preference or experience with these systems?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't use them indoors, so I can't offer any help, I just wanted to post a caution. Be sure that the habitat is warm enough with the mist running. Cool/mist=fatal.....warm/mist=good

Right now, we're just misting with a spray bottle of warm water. Temp does dip a bit at first then back up within 5 mins.

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
I have leopard hatching and I use a small humidifier to keep the humidity above 80%.. its a hunter ultrasonic humidifier I bought for 30$ at menards. Super quiet and works great. I put it on a small shelf in the tank.. must refill once a day so that is the only downfall...

..And it dose look like a fog, if that matters...

Not too worried about the looks. More interested in keeping constant humidity.

Thanks for the tip on the humifier.

Anyone else?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I keep constant humidity without a fogger or mister. I know that doesn't answer your original question but I just wanted to share that it's possible to keep a constant high humidity without using either of these. If your closed chamber is indeed "closed" you wont constantly loose humidity. I can go a week or 2 with my RH over 80% before I need to add any squirts of water.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use a zoomed fogger on a Humidistat to maintain my humidity levels is my young sulcata enclosure. For other moisture needs, I use a pump sprayer like you find in garden centers to eliminate the hand pumping action.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I have a shallow water dish (zoomed feeding bowl really) placed right below a light and a tiny fan circulating air, as well as a small tetra fish bowl full of water in a corner near our leopards basking spot. Between those things I'm able to maintain my humidity at 80\86% and I only have to refill the shallow dish everyday. Plus the bonus is the shallow pool is warm and inviting, so Benny (our leopard) gives himself soaks throughout the day. Downfall: he deficates in the bowl often which is a pain in the butt to clean if it dries out :(. Ewww tmi

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I also use the zoo med fogger . Works great and I have holes in the top of my enclosure . It keeps my humidity at 70/80 ish . Sometimes I turn it off so things can dry out some .

Gomberg,

You're correct, my enclosure isn't quite closed yet... Some additional construction needed. But it's about 4 feet by 2.5 feet, so I'm worried that I'll have some humidity loss either way.

Ken, can you give me some info on make and model of the humidistat that you're using? And the fogger?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Petco sells the fogger for 40 $ .

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Mine is a ZppMed Hygrotherm. It controls heating devise as well as the fogger.
The fogger is a ZooMed Reptifogger.
I buy all this stuff on eBay.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have my fogger on a timer on for 15 minutes off for 15 minutes . I got the timer from Home Depot for five dollars or so . It has a swith to turn it on and off that is also high and low settings . It has a float built-in so it turns off when out of water . I fill my fogger every other day with bottled water . Hard water will build calcium in the unit and burn out the fan . But if this happens zoo med will send you replacement parts . I like the fogger works awesome . If you install it over your water bowl it drips in it so the substrate does not get soaked .

camarokiller

5 Year Member
South of pittsburgh
I'm going to be setting up an Exo Terra 6 nozzle monsoon system that will feed 2 habitats this weekend. I'll be sure to let you know what I think. I'm ready to take a break from spray bottle misting.

Mike? 15 mins and 15 off seems like a TON of water to me, no??

Camaro,

Please do keep me posted. Getting tired of the spray bottle as well... Even though it's only a couple times a day. I also want to automate it for when I go on vacation. Less for the babysitter to worry about. Lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Like I said I have holes in the top of my enclosure . But it works for me and I turn it off at night .

Tditta94

Houston pa
I keep constant humidity without a fogger or mister. I know that doesn't answer your original question but I just wanted to share that it's possible to keep a constant high humidity without using either of these. If your closed chamber is indeed "closed" you wont constantly loose humidity. I can go a week or 2 with my RH over 80% before I need to add any squirts of water.

Isn't it bad to have a perfectly closed chamber because then you have to worry about bacteria growth and the health affects associated with poor ventilation