Humidity systems

NathansChelonians

I'm sorry I know this isn't lights but it's the only forum section that seemed to fit the topic. Does anyone know of any misting and fogging systems that can be hooked up to something like a herpstat? I'm seeing a lot of good items, but I need something that's triggered by humidity levels rather than timing. So any ideas for misters and foggers would be great, thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I prefer not to use misters or foggers to continually replace escaping humidity. I have found it best to simply contain the humidity in the first place. Closed chambers make temperature and humidity maintenance easy, save a tremendous amount on the electric bills, and offer better, more stable conditions for the tortoises.

NathansChelonians

Well my enclosure is contained, but you need circulation in an area that's so damp to prevent mold growth, and respiratory problems. Therefore, I will be installing PC fans at either end, one which is "blowing" the air, and one which is "sucking" the air. Additionally, I am also quite interested in making enclosures as close to their native lands, so the fog would be used to keep up humidity, and it would be on close to all the time, or as long as the herpstat or other system found it necessary. The misting system would be used to peak humidity, as in tropical climates it would rain a couple times. So with a species that is comfortable in 80-90 percent humidity, I would use fog, and damp soil and some other small but contributing factors to maintain an about 80% humidity, and then use the misting system to peak the levels, as it would in the wild. The cost of electricity isn't much of a concern for me, honestly.

NathansChelonians

Nonetheless I appreciate your information. In the warm months I'll be doing some tests with a greenhouse to see if I can house my animals outside, so I will, in a way, be using that technique.