Fog vs Mist for humidity maintenance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Isn't it bad to have a perfectly closed chamber because then you have to worry about bacteria growth and the health affects associated with poor ventilation
This thread is from 2014. This member seldom posts anymore and is unlikely to see your question.

A closed chamber is not airtight. There is plenty of air movement, but not so much that your heat and humidity are wicked away. A closed chamber allows you to reduce ventilation to workable levels, not eliminate it.

Bacterial growth is not an issue if you spot clean daily and use the recommended substrates that resist bacterial and fungal growth.

As far as health effects, the effect of a closed chamber on baby tortoises is that they thrive. This type of environment most closely simulates what we speculate they experience in the wild hiding in the thick undergrowth in a humid, rainy, hot climate. I say "speculate" because very little is known about where they go after hatching. The lost years... Since we don't really know what happens in the wild, we are left with what we see in our own enclosures every single day. The dry routine results in one outcome, and the closed chamber routine result in a different and much better outcome, time and time again.

What species and size tortoise are you housing? We can link the correct care info for you.

Tditta94

Houston pa
This thread is from 2014. This member seldom posts anymore and is unlikely to see your question.

A closed chamber is not airtight. There is plenty of air movement, but not so much that your heat and humidity are wicked away. A closed chamber allows you to reduce ventilation to workable levels, not eliminate it.

Bacterial growth is not an issue if you spot clean daily and use the recommended substrates that resist bacterial and fungal growth.

As far as health effects, the effect of a closed chamber on baby tortoises is that they thrive. This type of environment most closely simulates what we speculate they experience in the wild hiding in the thick undergrowth in a humid, rainy, hot climate. I say "speculate" because very little is known about where they go after hatching. The lost years... Since we don't really know what happens in the wild, we are left with what we see in our own enclosures every single day. The dry routine results in one outcome, and the closed chamber routine result in a different and much better outcome, time and time again.

What species and size tortoise are you housing? We can link the correct care info for you.
We have a redfooted tortoise and I want to build a habitat for him as he has out grown the temporary tank we got for him. thank you for the info I am looking for a way to give him as much space as I can while also keeping his climate safe and healthy

Reactions: Tom

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Isn't it bad to have a perfectly closed chamber because then you have to worry about bacteria growth and the health affects associated with poor ventilation
Well, it never was a perfectly closed chamber. There was always air exchanged when the doors opened.

I also had a variety of isopods and springtails in the substrate as my "cleaning crew". No mold issues.

Not a single health issue with raising my guy this way. He's now 10 yars old and in perfect health.