Humidity box

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm at the pet store now. All they have are reptiles basking spot lamps. All the bulbs say "basking spot"
Get out of the pet store and go to Walmart or Home Depot or Lowes or Target. You'll get better stuff, MUCH better prices, and you won't get bad advice from the pet store people.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes! Got it. Thank you!
As far as the che, you have to buy a thermometer separate?
The CHE and the UV tube are the only items you need from the pet store. I use these thermostats. Shipping is cheap easy and quick:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

This thermostat will maintain the ambient temp above 80 day and night.

Then the regular incandescent bulb will maintain the basking area a bit warmer during the day. You can get a timer for the basking lamp and UV tube at the hardware store or Walmart too. I use 65 watt flood bulbs for basking most of the time. Adjust the fixture up or down to get the correct basking temp under it. The wattage will vary. Only your thermometer can tell you if you've got it right. For example, I have to drop down to 25 watt round bulbs in my new closed chamber in summer. I'll bump them back up when cooler temps return.

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
The CHE and the UV tube are the only items you need from the pet store. I use these thermostats. Shipping is cheap easy and quick:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

This thermostat will maintain the ambient temp above 80 day and night.

Then the regular incandescent bulb will maintain the basking area a bit warmer during the day. You can get a timer for the basking lamp and UV tube at the hardware store or Walmart too. I use 65 watt flood bulbs for basking most of the time. Adjust the fixture up or down to get the correct basking temp under it. The wattage will vary. Only your thermometer can tell you if you've got it right. For example, I have to drop down to 25 watt round bulbs in my new closed chamber in summer. I'll bump them back up when cooler temps return.
Do I leave all of the lights on all the time? Just during the day, or some only at night, etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I leave all of the lights on all the time? Just during the day, or some only at night, etc?
The thermostat and RHP or CHE are operating 24/7. They maintain ambient above 80 at all times.

The basking and UV bulb should be on a timer for 12-13 hours a day. They need it dark at night.

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
What is RHP? And would just a thermometer work or do I really need the thermostat if it stays on all the time?

Momof3_Gina

Louisiana
What is RHP? And would just a thermometer work or do I really need the thermostat if it stays on all the time?

And one more thing, I cut out the holes in the lid for all the lamps and am supposed to put the lid on the tub for them, how do they get air in a closed tub?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

And one more thing, I cut out the holes in the lid for all the lamps and am supposed to put the lid on the tub for them, how do they get air in a closed tub?

A thermoMETER measures temperature, and a thermoSTAT controls it. A thermostat makes sure it doesn’t get too hot or too cold, so yes, it should always be on with a radiant heat panel(RHP) or CHE.

Opening the tub for daily soaks/feeding gives them enough air. They generally don’t need that much.