How To Build An Outdoor Enclosure For My Russain Tortoise? Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
I need help with building an outdoor enclosure for my russain tortoise. Can you guys post some helpful tips. It would really help if you guys could post real plans!!!! Should I make it out of wood or bricks. Which is cheaper and easier to build but still is very nice. Pleeeeeease help.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
LOL, we all dread the time that we have to build one. Or at least I do:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
alben909 said:
I need help with building an outdoor enclosure for my russain tortoise. Can you guys post some helpful tips. It would really help if you guys could post real plans!!!! Should I make it out of wood or bricks. Which is cheaper and easier to build but still is very nice. Pleeeeeease help.

There are plenty of ideas here on the forum; why not take a little bit of time and look through the "Enclosures' section and see if there is anything you like. And the you can work towards making that idea fit with the space and resources you have.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really need to get the camera out and start catching up on some pictures. Until then these are some pictures of our remodel enclosure for the one group of hingebacks. The Russians have the other half with a small walkway in between. You of course would be only making the one enclosure, where this is two of them.

We took an older enclosure which we have used for years (close to 20 yrs at this point). The enclosure when built had the wire wall going into the ground about 6-8", then at the top we had a lip bent inward to stop those who might climb out. At the time we chose the wire because the tortoises usually can't climb it, it was cheap, easy to get and put up, did not require things like saws, and best of all it would not rot like wood here does within a few years. I decided I wanted higher walls rather then the ones you could just step over at any time thus the remodel plus sections after all those years were getting bent down and in. I wanted the enclosure tall enough that I could easily stand up inside to do the work needed, rather then be breaking my back bent over.

We framed it with wood for support and used chicken wire for the walls. I decided since we never had a problem with anything going into the turtle/tortoise enclosures chicken wire would be strong enough to continue to deter them away. We used our horizontal brace down just under the lip wire to give it more support for another experimental project I had in mind.

027.jpg

028.jpg

045.jpg

You enter thru the doorway into the walkway section, which can if needed be used as a small enclosure. You still step over the wire into each of the two sides.

Russians like to climb, so watch the corners especially and cap them. Having a lip all around is a smart thing to do, too. Make the enclosure so it has some varying amounts of sun/shade and keep in mind that there will be seasonal changes in these amounts. It's best if enclosures are not squares, but rather more rectangular. Make sure you either place the enclosure where you can sit and watch them or allow an inside area to do this in. Believe me, you will find you spend a lot of time just watching and enjoying. Remember too, Russians like to dig. I like having a small hill inside each enclosure. Think about what happens if you suddenly would get a heavy heavy downpour of rain, does this spot have drainage or will you need to add it? If you even think you may need or want electricity to the enclosure, is it located in a convenient area to do so? Can folks driving by see your enclosure? Does that mater to you?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here is a pic taken today of the 12 ft x 6 ft vinyl enclosure I put together for a pair of russians a few weeks ago. It will house them for the rest of this summer and fall. Over the winter I am going to secure the whole 8 ft x 24 ft area it is sitting in now for the pair to enjoy. The vinyl was easy to work with, but have no idea of the cost because I used material I had on hand.

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Bricks are heavy and harder to level than wood. I am expanding my Sulcata's enclosure (doubling the size). I am using wood, wire, cement blocks and concrete. Wood and wore are probably cheaper. Brick will last forever....

Status
Not open for further replies.