Chicken Wire Help PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
I am building an outside enclosure for my russain tortoise. I am using chicken wire for the walls but I started thinking, "Is this wire really strong enough?" So that's my question. Is chicken wire strong enough to hold a steppe (russain) tortoise in and keep critters out? Please help so I can resume my construction.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not in my opinion. Use welded wire. I like the 1''x2". You can buy it at OSH.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I had a box turtle climb out of a 3' high chicken wire enclosure when I was a kid. Also, they stick their heads through the holes and sometimes get stuck!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I use "hardware cloth" it is stiffer than chicken wire.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
As said before, chicken wire for verticals is dangerous- tortoises can get stuck and really hurt themselves, it's escaladable... Nope...
As for the lid, here you can use the chicken wire. The lid should not obstruct sunlight, I hope you didn't thought to a solid material. use only nets/wires to have open sky for them.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
I'm with Laura, for the walls?? Surely this won't achieve anything you want, you tort can climb and critters will get in, plus they need a solid wall so they can't see out to stop them walking into things thinking they can get out!! Maybe use chicken wire for the lid and sturdy solid wood for the walls!! Honestly, this is the way!!

yoda3106 said:
I'm with Laura, for the walls?? Surely this won't achieve anything you want, you tort can climb and critters will get in, plus they need a solid wall so they can't see out to stop them walking into things thinking they can get out!! Maybe use chicken wire for the lid and sturdy solid wood for the walls!! Honestly, this is the way!!

Sorry vinne, I'm with you too on this lol

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Chicken wire is a bad choice for walls. When I was about 10 years old I saw one of my russians climbing a chicken wire fence I had set up like it was nothing. Plus he can get stuck in all the wire. I'm with Tom on the welded wire. It looks so much nicer and its not too expensive. I would use wood for my walls and attach the wire to the top so nothing can get in, or at least nothing should be able to come in depending on what goes in your backyard. Heres something I built for some leopard babies. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Lil-Leopards#axzz20gePRVC0

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have hardware wire for the bottom foot or so, then I have a lip. The tortoises can not get past the lip. Then above that I used chicken wire on my one Russian/Hingeback enclosure. I know my area and I know my other security factors, having kept tortoises and turtles out there for over 20 years. I am of the strong belief, that if you stop most of the predators from even coming close to your enclosures your about 90% there. This includes not leaving food outside at night to attract them and having heavily planted enclosures to hide the tortoises within, because these same predators hunt during the day not just at night (such as the raccoon). This is my first enclosure, I even tried working with the taller walls, so I think I am doing something right. When doing the taller walls, I did it more as an additional defense to keep out and animal casually thinking of going into the enclosure, NOT as a secure measure to keep anything that was SERIOUS about wanting to get into the pen. Sorta like the difference between closing your front door and actually locking that door. It's a matter of degrees.

IF you feel you have a potential reason to need a strong, sturdy long lasting wall, I would not go with the chicken wire.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Terry Allan Hall said:
kanalomele said:
I use "hardware cloth" it is stiffer than chicken wire.

2nd this...I use 1/2" hardware cloth (strong mesh)...only a little more expensive than chicken wire, but MUCH stronger/safer.

Also lasts a long time more then chicken wire does.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Chicken wire is a bad choice for walls. When I was about 10 years old I saw one of my russians climbing a chicken wire fence I had set up like it was nothing. Plus he can get stuck in all the wire. I'm with Tom on the welded wire. It looks so much nicer and its not too expensive. I would use wood for my walls and attach the wire to the top so nothing can get in, or at least nothing should be able to come in depending on what goes in your backyard. Heres something I built for some leopard babies. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Lil-Leopards#axzz20gePRVC0

Wish my grass would grow that thick and long, its actually dead from the lack of rain :/

Status
Not open for further replies.