How do you ship 9 inch tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Can anyone give me advice on how to ship two torts one being 9 to 10 x 7 inches and the other a little smaller.
Together? Separate?
What kind of box and packing?
Marking box? What to do/what not to do?
Airlines or FedX/UPS over night?
Any advice and help is deeply appreciated.
Thank you:tort:

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
I read a post I has seen after I posted this, but looks like it is for smaller tort, still hoping someone can give
me some more advice.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
You can ship through Delta Airlines but you need to be certified and have a representative from them check out your property. Shipping through fed ex or ups will probably be pretty pricey.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Blessed3x said:
Can anyone give me advice on how to ship two torts one being 9 to 10 x 7 inches and the other a little smaller.
Together? Separate?
What kind of box and packing?
Marking box? What to do/what not to do?
Airlines or FedX/UPS over night?
Any advice and help is deeply appreciated.
Thank you:tort:

Delta air is same day shipping, I dont really like shipping torts but I just got one tonight through Delta

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
You can ship through Delta Airlines but you need to be certified and have a representative from them check out your property. Shipping through fed ex or ups will probably be pretty pricey.

Who would check out my property?
Certified? Are you talking about a state of federal permit?
Its a private person shipping to another private person
one time only. Please elaborate. Would appreciate it.

bigred said:
Delta air is same day shipping, I dont really like shipping torts but I just got one tonight through Delta

How big was the tort you got this evening and can you tell me how
it was done? How the crate / box was prepared?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Blessed3x said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

bigred said:

I dont know who specifically would be coming to your property because I dont have personal experience shipping with Delta. I think the only thing you need is to have a person from Delta come to your place to make sure you do indeed have tortoises. Doesnt matter if its a one time thing and if its a private to private deal. Ship your reptiles is your best bet at shipping them for the best price without waiting for anything. I had 10 adult greek tortoises shipped to my door without any problems so you should be able to get them shipped that way.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Blessed3x said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

bigred said:

The tort was small 3 inches, Im attaching a pic of the box that was sent to me. Some people use styrafoam containers and wrap the torts in a cloth bag

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, you place the tortoise inside a pillow case and tie a knot in the end of the case. If you think the tortoise will make a mess, you can tape a preemie disposable diaper around his rear end. Then you find a box big enough to hold the tortoise and a large cushioning of packing peanuts.

I place a whole sunday newspaper on the floor of the box, the whole paper, folded in half and not torn up. Then a layer of packing peanuts, then the tortoise in the sack, then fill the box up with more packing peanuts. Tape it shut GOOD, using good tape that sticks and won't come loose.

Punch a bunch of holes in the sides of the box with a screw driver. Mark the box with an "UP" arrow all around on all four sides. In big, red letters write "Caution! Live reptile. Avoid extreme temperatures!!" on all four sides.

It will be quite expensive to ship a tortoise of that size. But UPS will take it for over night shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.