Moving form AK to SC- shipping tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
So I want to ship my Russian next day air she is in good health and good weight. I Plan on using UPS. I saw the forum on how to ship but I was wondering is it safe? I plan on sending her some time between July 9- 15. Should I put a cool pack in with her so she don't get to hot? Or a heat pack so she don't get to cold?? I planed on putting a moist sponge in with her so she don't dry out. What other advice can you all give me?? It would help me out a bunch!!!!!! Thanks!! I want to keep her safe and not have her die on the way down. If it is to risky I will just rehome her to some one up here I don't want to ship her just to have her die on me that would be so sad, We are very attached. :)

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I'd suggest shipping FEDEX instead of UPS, I think they do a better job. You will have to go through a third party to ship reptiles. Either reptiles express or reptiles direct. Pretty straight forward to set up an account and create a shipping label to ship w/ Fedex. I would drop the tortoise as late as possible. The likely route to SC will go through Indianapolis or Memphis. Cool packs would be a good idea. Priority overnight definitely. If you are near the airport and there is a drop there, That's what I would do. That would minimize the outdoor time on the tortoise.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why ship just take it with you as any other animal. Are you flying take it as carry on. If you are driving make it a small travel box so you can keep a eye on it. Ups I don't know never shipped animals but have shipped other stuff that gets broken so if it was me my torts ride with me .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
mike taylor said:
just take it with you as any other animal.

No-go, airlines only allow cats, dogs and birds in cabin. Shipped as cargo = too many variables and they only provide service to certain destinations. Not driving 4800+ miles with 1 1/2 year old baby in tow.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
You can safely and responsibly ship your tortoise overnight to your new home, it isn't difficult at all.

We have guidelines at our site for packaging and weather/temperature considerations. Start here:

http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/get_help/get_help_shipping_standards/#question-15

Tortoises are quite hardy, and ship very well. It is important that you use proper packaging though, packaging that protects from heat AND cold.

Using UPS, especially walking into the UPS Store, is going to be the MOST expensive way to ship. Booking at ShipYourReptiles will start you off with a 20% discount off the retail rate right off the bat.

Contact us directly if you have any questions or concerns, we are here to help! [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.