Shipping questions with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I'm moving from Illinois to California on Wednesday, and I will be overnight shipping Nelson.

I originally picked up this container to ship him in- seriously misjudged how BIG he has gotten!
IMAG0511.jpg

I read in egyptiandan’s shipping post that a larger tortoise (not a hatchling) should be in a large enough container/box to be able to right himself in case the box gets flipped over.

This seems too big though; I don't want him flying around every time the box gets moved. Do I put newspaper or something in there with him? I seriously have no idea!!
IMAG0512.jpg

I have a larger box for the smaller box to fit into to, but I need help figuring out exactly how to pack him. I will buy packing peanuts to put between the two boxes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I normally put tortoises that size inside a tube sock and tie a knot in the end of it. Then you put a layer of shredded newspaper or packing peanuts in the bottom of the box (I think your box is too big), place the sock on the layer, and then fill up the box with more packing peanuts or shredded newspaper. You can also punch a few holes in the sides of the box for air, but its really not necessary. I don't use the box-in-a-box method. One box works just fine.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use two boxes, but the one on the inside is usually a plastic shoe box. I fill it part way with damp sphagnum moss, to create a nice cushiony "nest" and drill ventilation holes in the lid.

What is the reason you are shipping him and not just taking him with you? Are you flying?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The animal needs to be in an insulated box, with 3/4" Styro being the minimum. No box in a box, or box with just newspaper. That would be a death sentence right now. There are about 3 weeks in a year when you can ship without an insulated box, but that is frowned upon no matter what.......

So to recap - An insulated box, a container/bag to put the Tortoise in, coolpack, and plenty of packing material is what you need.......

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Kristina- I am flying.

I will look into insulated boxes with cool packs. Thanks!

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
If you are shipping with either FedEx or UPS, an insulated box is a REQUIREMENT, not an option.

We offer a range of insulated box sizes at our site, along with the other packaging materials you will need.

Feel free to contact [email protected] directly with specific questions, or to walk you through the packing and booking process.

We have an extensive and detailed Get Help section at our site as well:

ShipYourReptiles Get Help section

Shipping a live reptile for the first time might seem daunting, but with the right materials, info and support, it is actually a smooth and reliable process!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I am shipping through UPS, and I purchased an insulated box today.
Robyn, your website has been very helpful!

Now for a few stupid questions... ;)
Do I need to poke holes in the insulated box? My mom is convinced Nelson will suffocate... :p
The insulated box came with two cold packs. Where in the box should I put these? Obviously I don't want Nelson to freeze!
I have a giant Gladware container that I will be putting Nelson in. I recently gave away all of my sphagnum moss...what is a good alternative?
Thanks!!

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
Crumpled newspaper works well for padding and to absorb inevitable liquids that tortoises usually pass during shipping.

Holes in the box allow for just a bit of air flow. I typically use a philips head screwdriver and punch two holes on two sides of the box.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would poke holes in the box. All the way through to the outside. Mine came in a styrofoam box inside a cardboard box. I think its just one box really. The cold packs, tape on the underside of the lid. Cold air goes down, while hot air rises. Good luck, have a safe trip, enjoy the California sunshine.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Thanks Barb, I will poke holes through the entire box.

I am a little concerned because the cold packs I have are huge. They are called "polar pack foam bricks". I don't want to freeze my tortoise, or even keep him chilled, ya know? He will be shipped overnight so it will be 70s.

Should I buy a smaller ice pack?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG...you are not going to ship that Hoagie sandwich, are you? Nelson! He is indeed bigger than he was the last time I saw him. (He MUST remain healthy and intact so I can laugh at future photos, too, Katie!) :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my tort was shipped. He was packed tight in slightly damp moss in a small dish with a top, he did not have room to walk, but could stick his head and legs out of his body. The top had holes in it. Then the dish was packed with shredded paper around it so it could not move inside the styrofoam/cardboard box. The box had a heat pack on the bottom. Mine was a hatchling shipped in May. I think if you packed him in with moss, so he can't really move, but can have him buried and used one cold pack I would think he would be fine. I wouldn't worry about him getting cold as much as I would him getting to hot. It won't be temp controlled where the box will be sitting while it gets to you. Also, keep in mind if they screw up and he doesn't get to you until the second day. It has happened to a couple members receiving new hatchlings. They were fine. I would also make sure he is hydrated before hand but not fed. Mind you, I have never shipped a tort. I thought the way mine was packed was fantastic. Unless the box was smashed, my tort could not have gotten hurt. You probably could have played football with the box and nothing happen to my tort.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
ChiKat said:

I am a little concerned because the cold packs I have are huge. They are called "polar pack foam bricks". I don't want to freeze my tortoise, or even keep him chilled, ya know? He will be shipped overnight so it will be 70s.

That is what you want - The animal needs to be cooled, just incase the box is delivered late. The lower the body temperature, the more redundancy you have if temperatures rise in the box.........

Don't go crazy with the vent holes either. I use my pocket knife to make two slits in the box......That is it.......Even a completely sealed box is breathable and has ample enough oxygen flow for the animal to survive. Put the cool packs on the bottom or taped to the side of the box, and make sure you have a few layers of packing material between the cool pack and the animal so the cool pack does not have direct contact with the animal.......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
EricIvins said:
ChiKat said:

That is what you want - The animal needs to be cooled, just incase the box is delivered late. The lower the body temperature, the more redundancy you have if temperatures rise in the box.........

Don't go crazy with the vent holes either. I use my pocket knife to make two slits in the box......That is it.......Even a completely sealed box is breathable and has
ample enough oxygen flow for the animal to survive. Put the cool packs on the
bottom or taped to the side of the box, and make sure you have a few layers of
packing material between the cool pack and the animal so the cool pack does not
have direct contact with the animal.......

Why cool packs on bottom or side? Cool air falls, hot/warm air rises. Wouldn't you want the cool on top to fall all around the bottom and sides? Just curious.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Thanks everyone for the tips! I think I'll use a screwdriver to poke a few holes through the insulation. That is a good point about how it's better if he's colder than too hot!

Stephanie, so good to hear from you! :) Don't worry, my Nelson will be just fine. :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
wellington said:
EricIvins said:
ChiKat said:

Don't go crazy with the vent holes either. I use my pocket knife to make two slits in the box......That is it.......Even a completely sealed box is breathable and has
ample enough oxygen flow for the animal to survive. Put the cool packs on the
bottom or taped to the side of the box, and make sure you have a few layers of
packing material between the cool pack and the animal so the cool pack does not
have direct contact with the animal.......

Why cool packs on bottom or side? Cool air falls, hot/warm air rises. Wouldn't you want the cool on top to fall all around the bottom and sides? Just curious.

Because the laws of Thermal Dynamics do not apply to an enclosed box stuffed full of packing material.......

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This has been an interesting thread. I am always on the receiving end of this entire process, not the shipping side. How long til you ship him?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I ship him this afternoon, eek! I'm flying to California tonight and he will be delivered to my apartment tomorrow morning. I will post an update as soon as he arrives!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Exciting move. Are you moving because of a job? I love Chicago, but the Cali weather would be nice. Have a safe flight, tort too and can't wait for the new pics

Status
Not open for further replies.