How do you get ants out of a indoor habitat

awesomecs

5 Year Member
there's ants in my room I don't mind thoe they eat ticks fleas and other pets but when they go in my tortoise habitat that's a different story I take her old food out that she doesn't eat so it was ok the first time I saw acople ants when I cleaned her enclose but then I saw like 50 ants in her habitat I dint want to use spray since I was afraid it would get in her food and all the internet ways weren't good for me so please tell me I'm ne to tortoises I had her for one year about so please tell thank you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A product called Diatomaceous Earth works. (Food grade only)
It's a harmless powder that kills insects and very likely I've spelled it incorrectly.:)

awesomecs

5 Year Member
hmmm I live in peensilvainya and ill have to ask my parents but ok maybe

awesomecs

5 Year Member
btw what are other spises of social tortoise that can take the cold besides redfoots please respond

Alaskamike

South Florida
btw what are other spises of social tortoise that can take the cold besides redfoots please respond
It depends on what you mean by cold. You'll need to be more specific with temps.

Also cool and dry is different than cool and wet.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
oh well we have a around temepeture in winter its cold and in summer its hot and in fall its cool and dry and spring is warm and wt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use a vacuum cleaner to remove the ants and then you need to prevent re-infestation.

I use a product called Terro Ant Bait. Is is relatively non-toxic boric acid based, but they carry it back to their queen and it wipes out the whole colony.

Take this seriously. Ants can kill your tortoise.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I mean social as in like red foots can sometimes get along with each other that kind

I DINT KNOW THEY CAN KIL MY TORTOISE TORY IS THE BESTI DONTWANT HER TO DIE THANKS FOR TELLIN ME ILL GET RID OF THEM RIGH AWAY

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What do you mean by "take the cold"? Red foots aren't known for being cold tolerant... The Mediterranean tortoises or even Indotestudo spp. have better cold tolerance than footed tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any tortoise will need the right temperatures.

I think hermanns tortoises might fit best for your purposes. Russians are pretty scrappy. Hermanni are not usually as bad unless it is two adult males.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Torts are generally better off on their own.
Pairs is not a good idea and groups can work if you have a male with a few females, but you should have lots of space and never mix species.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
see now that's what I herd but i thought some were social if you think you know ask

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
oh ok I was told that they suck together ill see...

What do you mean together? Are we talking about a group of the same species, or do you mean you want to put another tortoise in with your russian?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
i was thinking that I could get a new spises when i 16

Alaskamike

South Florida
i was thinking that I could get a new spises when i 16
I'm sure it is very tempting to get more and different kinds of tortoises. Every type is so unique and interesting.

You are living in a climate that requires indoor habitats. You can't keep any outdoors in the winter.

That means space becomes a problem. Any species as it matures , even the smaller ones will need a 4' x 8' enclosure. That's a whole sheet of plywood. Pretty good sized for a house.

Even in the great outdoors tortoises avoid each other except when they mate. And even then , they mate and go on their way to separate. In an enclosure there is little space to get away.

Multiples of different species will not work together in an inside enclosure. It's not recommended in a large outdoor one either. You will most certainly have bullying. Especially as they hit adolescence ( remember jr high school ?).

Plus, different species carry different pathogens ( bugs) and can make each other sick. Because what a Redfoot can tolerate and have in their system could kill a Russian ( for instance)

Three or more of same species may be okay , but then again, you run into the space problem.

It is good you are asking and thinking about these things. Shows you care and have intelligence.