how to get an ants out of enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It is 78 degree in new caney and went to put my three red foots out in there enclosure but i have ants how do i evict the ants or will the tortoise eat them i have read that in the wild they will eat ants but those ants are not!!!! Texas fire ants any good ideas will be most appropriated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fire ants can hurt tortoises I believe. Can you flood them out? I then had read to use oatmeal or cornmeal around the enclosure and that is suppose to work on keeping them out and I believe killing them. Others should have more ideas. Good luck.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the information i flooded the enclosure they are not going to have a nice night of rest they'll have some work to do little useless suckers.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hay everybody i found a way to control ants in enclosure you get a mason jar zip tie it to something so tortoises can't get to it but low enough so the ants can find it and sugar and boric acid with a little water just enough to make it thick but not runny so the ants can walk on it then get the top and poke holes in it just big enough for the ants to enter and eat and then die hope this helps someone

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I usually dig them up as far down as the main channel of the mound leads down to. Put them in a trash bag, then put boiling water in there, then cornmeal, and diatemaceaous earth and cover with new dirt. Works pretty good.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That sounds like a lot of work you must really hate ants you boiled them then feed them and then poison them you have some problems what do you do to trespassers ha ha just kidding no but really

Status
Not open for further replies.