What to do about ant infestation?

Lucky The Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida I guess
So, I accidentally spilled some water in Lucky's bedding, when I saw a huge swarm of ants come running out of the wet substrate. The nest is right where he eats, and I don't want the ants stealing his food or scaring him (he doesn't want to come out of his burrow.) My mom started setting out poison, but I don't want Lucky getting poisoned. Since I live in hell (more commonly called Florida), ants are fairly common, but I've never seen them in Lucky's cage before. How do I get rid of the ants? (It might also be time for a terrarium change, as stupid me melted the plastic a bit as a newbie...)

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Don't use poison! The ants will bring it back to the nest (this is how it kills them) and they may get some on the tortoises food.

Do a forum search for "ants". It will yield many results on how to kill the ants without harming your tortoise.

Lucky The Tortoise

Florida I guess
Thank you! I am going to buy some more coco coir tomorrow (emphasis on more, he's getting more into digging) and try to find a bigger terrarium. The ants are ALL OVER it now that I kinda drowned them... definitely tossing that old, smaller-than-recommended piece of trash away as soon as I get a new cage.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Food grade diatomaceous earth. Put it around the outside of the enclosure or along the sides of the inside. It won't hurt the torts. It has too be the food grade.
Do not let your mother use poison. Animals and poison should never be used together or in same area and she should know this.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Don't throw the too small enclosure away, you could always use it for an animal that doesn't need as large an enclosure as your tortoise does.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stir some borax and sugar together then add enough water to liquify the two. Once the borax and sugar and completely dissolved, soak some cotton balls in the solution. Place the cotton balls someplace where the ants will get it. It poisons them and is not harmful to the tortoises.

BevSmith

Stir some borax and sugar together then add enough water to liquify the two. Once the borax and sugar and completely dissolved, soak some cotton balls in the solution. Place the cotton balls someplace where the ants will get it. It poisons them and is not harmful to the tortoises.

Lol I just got on the forum to search for “ants” and sure enough, there was this post from this same time of the year.

Right now the ants have taken over the food dish of my big guys, and so I’m tickled to find out that the boric acid (or just borax?) won’t hurt them.

How about doing a boric acid/sugar cotton ball under the lip of the terra cotta dish on the outside?