My archenemies are back… ants—help please!

texastort17

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all.

For reference, I’m in north texas where we haven’t had rain in quite some time. I have a few plants (which I kept in pots so I could take them inside during winter) within my tortoises cage. Long story short, I attempted to keep them alive with a solid soak, the abysmal heat were getting right now took them out anyways, and they had to go. When I lifted them out a fair amount of ants scattered.

Now, we’ve had a few ants in there over the years and I’ve always gone straight to y’all; I followed Tom’s advice in regards to terro bait traps—took the pests out in days. Quickly became my new favorite thing to have on standby. I also make sure that I never leave old food. For whatever reason, I’ve laid them down this go round and they’ve cleared out, but the ants are still there. I’m thinking they could have evaporated due to heat? I’m unsure. I’ve put DE food grade around, OUTSIDE of the enclosure I’ve put the poison more specific to fire ants, and continued to lay down bait traps but nothing seems to work.

The ants are always gone during the day, so it’s been a struggle in early morning or nightfall to attempt to really see them. From what I can tell they range in size, but are all a darker reddish brown with a black tail end. I cannot see any stingers on their ends, even on the large ones. The big ones I’ve seen are bigger than any ants I’ve seen before. All the googling I’ve been doing points to carpenter ants but I know fire ants are always an option here too.

I just want to keep my girl safe, so any advice would be so appreciated. Hope you’re staying cool out there.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Is this an outside enclosure? If it is you're always going to have ants in it. You probably only need to worry about fire ants, anything else should be pretty harmless.

texastort17

Texas
Is this an outside enclosure? If it is you're always going to have ants in it. You probably only need to worry about fire ants, anything else should be pretty harmless.
Oh yes, forgot to include that. It is outdoors. I’m just struggling to be sure if it’s fire ants or not. They’re a combo color, definitely not just red. They also run away whenever I get near, versus attacking like I’ve experienced before. And there’s no ant hill in sight in the entire backyard or enclosure.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
There will always be ants around outside. You really only need to worry about a fire ant mound, individual fire ants aren't a problem.

texastort17

Texas
There will always be ants around outside. You really only need to worry about a fire ant mound, individual fire ants aren't a problem.
Oh wow, I’ve been such a worrying mess all weekend. Thank you!

EricW

Houston, TX
If you ever do get a fire ant mound in or around your outdoor enclosure, I douse the mound in Orange Oil, the d-Limonene is toxic to the fire ants. There is a formula to mix it with water and soap, but I usually just use straight orange oil. The solution works well too, but I am lazy. However, orange oil isn't necessarily cheep.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right, Terro ant baits don't last forever. You'll need to buy fresh ones and set them out.

texastort17

Texas
You're right, Terro ant baits don't last forever. You'll need to buy fresh ones and set them out.
I’ve been refreshing them as soon as I notice they’re empty, I was just thrown because last time it only needed one round whereas this one has needed to be refreshed twice now.

texastort17

Texas
If you ever do get a fire ant mound in or around your outdoor enclosure, I douse the mound in Orange Oil, the d-Limonene is toxic to the fire ants. There is a formula to mix it with water and soap, but I usually just use straight orange oil. The solution works well too, but I am lazy. However, orange oil isn't necessarily cheep.
Thank you! I’ll store this info just in case.

EricW

Houston, TX
I’ve been refreshing them as soon as I notice they’re empty, I was just thrown because last time it only needed one round whereas this one has needed to be refreshed twice now.
Are the ants eating it? Terro does not work on all ants because not all species will eat it.

texastort17

Texas
Are the ants eating it? Terro does not work on all ants because not all species will eat it.
It doesn’t seem like they are as much this time. I did put granules on the outside as well, so it would hopefully target other types.
Are the ants eating it? Terro does not work on all ants because not all species will eat

TanksALot

South Carolina
Hello all.

For reference, I’m in north texas where we haven’t had rain in quite some time. I have a few plants (which I kept in pots so I could take them inside during winter) within my tortoises cage. Long story short, I attempted to keep them alive with a solid soak, the abysmal heat were getting right now took them out anyways, and they had to go. When I lifted them out a fair amount of ants scattered.

Now, we’ve had a few ants in there over the years and I’ve always gone straight to y’all; I followed Tom’s advice in regards to terro bait traps—took the pests out in days. Quickly became my new favorite thing to have on standby. I also make sure that I never leave old food. For whatever reason, I’ve laid them down this go round and they’ve cleared out, but the ants are still there. I’m thinking they could have evaporated due to heat? I’m unsure. I’ve put DE food grade around, OUTSIDE of the enclosure I’ve put the poison more specific to fire ants, and continued to lay down bait traps but nothing seems to work.

The ants are always gone during the day, so it’s been a struggle in early morning or nightfall to attempt to really see them. From what I can tell they range in size, but are all a darker reddish brown with a black tail end. I cannot see any stingers on their ends, even on the large ones. The big ones I’ve seen are bigger than any ants I’ve seen before. All the googling I’ve been doing points to carpenter ants but I know fire ants are always an option here too.

I just want to keep my girl safe, so any advice would be so appreciated. Hope you’re staying cool out there.
I don't suggest leaving food out at all. But, you can use a terracotta pottery dish to place their food in, then place the dish in a larger dish and add water to the larger dish. Ants will not cross a water barrier, so now your feedings will be safe during the Tort's soaking. Food left in attented is just calling out to the ants for a free dinner. However, if you find their home (just watch for a trail leaving the buffet) ridding them can be rewarding. Truly rewarding.

And It's simple. Crazy simple. And most importantly, it's safe for any animals in the area, except of course, the ants... Boil at least a gallon or more of water, then take the water and a glass measuring cup or another type cup, a coffee cup will also do well. Then using the cup, slowly pour the boiling water into the center of the ant hill or where the ants seem to be entering and exiting the area, and any trail they are following to and from their home. You may even be able to see the actual labyrinth during your efforts. Good luck!