Hi

Maisey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi.
I cannot wait to get to know you all.
I currently don't have a tortoise but I'm looking to learn as much as possible before we make the commitment.
Can anyone recommend a website with lots of information or personal experiences for the best tortoise breeds for beginners.
Me and my boyfriend are hoping to get our new addition at the end of September so this gives us a good 2 months worth of research, as well as getting everything necessary to provide our tortoise with an enjoyable life with us.
We have been researching for a while now and I am lucky enough to also have a very knowledgable friend to owns tortoises himself but the more we know the better.
I just cannot decided on a specific breed.
Any advice or help would be brilliant.
Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Maisey and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
It's good you've come here where you'll find the most up to date tortoise information available anywhere.
And knowledgeable keepers willing to share their considerable experience.
If you get the set up right to begin with, any type of tortoise is a possibliity, but seeing you're in England (i'm English/Welsh myself) you may find a smaller, hardier species best to begin.
Russians are good starter torts in this category as are Greeks and Hermann's, all readily available in the UK.
Look at the care sheets for their requirements.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ will also be of use to you.
Please read and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oh, and it may be a good idea to get a slightly older tortoise, rather than a hatchling for your first tortoise.

edd_cxlli

Hello!
I bought a 3 week old Hermann tortoise and have had no trouble. If you are worried about what to feed or how to care for a tortoise just search up on the Internet. Provide a good home for your tortoise and he/she should be absolutely fine. I would suggest buying a inside cage as well as a pen for the outside. Let it out of its cage and give it as much calcium and sunlight as you can.
Best regards,
Edd

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

My web site recommendation would be HERE, of course!! If you decide on a Hermanns tortoise, then we have one of the best care sheets you can find. It's pinned at the top of our hermann's section, and was written by a very well-known tortoise person.

We have good care sheets on almost all species and you can find them pinned at the top of each species' section.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello MaiseyImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434938238.030680.jpg Like Yvonne said the web site I would say is the TFO !
And for the "knowledgable friend " Why isn't he here helping beginners as we do ? But good luck with your choice in torts . And most of all you don't have to have a tort to be a member just have fun and welcome !

MNM

Hi and welcome. I dont have a tortoise yet either, and I plan on getting mine around the same time as you... September. I decided to get a red foot tortoise. They're pretty, and only get a little over a foot long. I'm fourteen, and in my opinion it shouldnt be too hard to take care of a red foot. Of course, the experts and people with experience know best, so really pay attention to their suggestions because they know what's best. Don't forget to think about climate, humidity, weather, and temperatures! I hope you enjoy the forum and (eventually) your new tortoise! :) ;) :D :p

Maisey

England
Hi.
Thank you all for your warm welcome and the links.
I got a red foot tortoise last year, he was 3 months and unfortunately I lost him. I was so gutted, I refuse to go through that again so I will be getting one over a year old to try and lessen the chance of death.
I think I have decided on a Hermann tortoise. So now I need to find the best table.
I quite like the vivexotic viva tortoise table, what are your opinions on these?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't know this type of table, but often shop bought tort tables are very expensive, too small or not very good.
Many people here build their own. It can be quite easy, cheap and you can get closer to what you want.
Have a look at the 'Tortoise Enclosures' Forum here to get lots of super ideas.