New and Considering a Large Tortoise

tortmummytobe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi There!

My husband and I have been considering adding a new member to our family for quite a while now, specifically a large tortoise. We live in Texas and our climate averages around 60-90 degrees with 70-80 percent humidity. We own our own home with a large fenced in back yard and are planning to make both indoor and outdoor housing as necessary. We are still researching what type of tort best suits our situation. My husband would really like a sociable and large tortoise (he really likes the Leopard and Sulcata breeds). We are interested in both captive bred and rescue torts. My main concern is that our climate may be too humid for the larger African breeds. Does anyone have experience or advice in this area? We obviously will not be jumping in too fast as we know the commitment that is required with a tortoise.

Thanks in advance :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hmmm....You have a yard, live in Texas, want a big sociable tort....get a Sulcata! I say, dive right in and bring home a big boy! :)
Well, take the "Sulcata challenge" first ;) just to make sure you are ready.

Btw, the humidity of TX will be just fine. What makes you question that?

tortmummytobe

5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks for your response! I questioned the humidity when it came to the Leopard tortoise because throughout my research I have seen that humidity above 70 percent can cause respiratory problems. I have read the Sulcata challenge before and my husband is 100 percent on board (lol, not surprised). I am just nervous about the burrowing and being able to ensure his outdoor enclosure would be safe and sufficient for him. Do you have any suggestions about how deep a fence would need to go to make sure he doesn't burrow out?

Last edited:

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I live in Cailfornia and I have 1 of each. My sulcata is only around 40 lbs, but he is a small bulldozer. He can reach up to 200 lbs and eats a lot. my leopard is just a 1 1/2 years and can reach around 80 lbs. Both do well with humidty. Just be perpared if you pick a sulcata they need a big space and like i said they eat alot. i love both.

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ka5501/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/IMAG1133_zpsbj3z4ksk.jpg.html] [/URL]

I was going to post a pic of my sulcata but this site is not letting me. sorry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity only causes problems for either species if they are allowed to get cold. A heated night box for outside once they get bigger, or a properly heated indoor enclosure will prevent any issues.

If you are looking for personality and bigger size, then look for a South African Leopard vs. a regular one. Of course sulcatas are a favorite of mine, but they do get VERY large, sometimes dig giant burrows, and can be pretty destructive. Sulcatas are unmatched in the personality department though, super hardy, cheaper, and will do great in your climate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Contact Julie at the Turtle Rescue of Long Island. She gets in sulcatas all the time and is always looking for homes in the southern states for them.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Welcome:)

I really hope you go for a rescue tortoise, there are so many that need a new home:)

Take care,

Joey

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry, I totally disagree with almost everyone I guess, no disrespect meant. Large Sulcata are great wonderful fun tortoises. But they need an experienced keeper, need to be contained and protected from themselves. If you want a Sulcata get a smaller one, Not 100 pound one and learn how to keep him correctly when he's small. You can start at 25 or 30 pounds, I'm not talking about a hatchling. He'll grow big quickly. Mine is 16 years old and 150 pounds, he's a bulldozer, can go thru sheet rock and has 'gatedar", don't hook the gate just right, somehow he knows and he climbs 8 stairs and is gone up the street. He's super cool but it has taken me a long time to figure the best way for him to live, and how to stay steps ahead of him. Anyhow, that's my advice. Also, research first and find out what they eat, how much humidity they need, what temp is best for him etc. Tortoises come in species, not breeds, that's dogs,. And if you have dogs they must be protected from them. A big Sulcata can break a dogs leg, and a dog can and has and will kill a Sulcata. You need a solid fence that they can't see thru, there's just so many details you need to learn first.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What part of Texas are you from? I live in New Caney ten minutes from Humble . I got my sulcata from Kelly last year . He was 26 lbs now he is pushing 40 lbs . Kelly is in Dallas I drove and picked him up . With a heated house they really don't dig .They use the house as a borrow . I have fans in my tort house for summer and a heater for winter . Kelly gets rescues and finds them good homes. The only time I have seen Harry try to dig is after a rain . He will dig himself a mud hole . As for fencing I cut plywood in 16 " strips and ran it along the inside of my fence works great . I also put concrete in the corners because thats where he started to dig now he doesn't even try . I also made him a pond to soak in . Here are some pictures .

Attachments

• 1401501827977.jpg
    1401501827977.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 1401501845935.jpg
    1401501845935.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 1401501889459.jpg
    1401501889459.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1401501917851.jpg
    1401501917851.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1401501951475.jpg
    1401501951475.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 36

tortmummytobe

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. My husband and I are still researching the two "species" (as I have been corrected) and will take all your input into consideration. We live in Tyler, TX (two hours from the Dallas area) for those wondering. I think what would really help us decide is meeting an adult leo and an adult sully in person. Anyone from TX here know where we might accomplish this? Thanks again :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think what would really help us decide is meeting an adult leo and an adult sully in person.

Now THAT is an excellent idea. Zoos often have these species. Is that a possibility? Just remember that mid day, especially on hot days, every tortoise species is going to sit around doing nothing while they wait out the heat. During warm weather they are most active in the morning and afternoons.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im not sure if price is an issue but did you consider a radiated or aldabra. I dont think either of these 2 torts are as dstructive as a sulcata. I have never owned an aldabra or leopard

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Whatever you decide I heartily second the idea to check them out as full grown adults before making this decision. Welcome to TFO