New member saying "Hi"

Spannerz

"Hi"

Having been researching over the last 6 months or so whether I would be a suitable owner of a tortoise and whether a tortoise would be the right addition to our family, I have concluded the answer is YES, to both.

My husband has decided that a tortoise would be an ideal gift to me for our first wedding anniversary, probably instead of a baby ;) but we were both very reluctant to jump in too quickly without knowing we could provide the right care and attention a tortoise would need.

I have read through a number of posts within the forum and although following the basics is essential, I think you only really get to know a pet as you start to care for it and learn each other's routines/habits/needs, etc. reading of other peoples experiences will go a long way in helping us to care for our tortoise in the best way possible once when get one.

I have no specific questions at this stage but all and any advice would be welcomed and appreciated should anybody wish to share.

I am currently vetting out 3 tortoise breeders, with the plan being to get one at the end of this month, once I have the suitable set up complete for it's new tenant.

I look forward to reading about the experiences of my fellow tortoise owners and updating you with the details of our new arrival.

:)

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
hello and welcome! Its great you're here and sounds like you're really doing everything right! What type tortoise have you been thinking and why that species? great to have you here :)

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Welcome...

Good prep is half the work...
I'd like to know as well what your choice will be:)?

Joey

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Kudos on your research and a hardy welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Just make sure you built the correct enclosure for the right type of tortoise. What kind are you looking at and where are you located?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. And I ( like tortdad ) know where your from .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Spannerz

Hi, thank you for your kind welcomes.

I'm located in The Midlands, UK. Based on my location and the distance I'm prepared to travel, the 3 breeders I've been looking in to seem to deal with Hermanns, Ibera and Horsefields.

I'm still undecided on which would be better but have been advised by 2 of the breeders that Hermanns are ideal for beginners, is this the general consensus or would you advise otherwise.

I've been reading over numerous tortoise care websites to highlight the needs of the 3 breeds mentioned, but would happily receive any advice if it's believed that one breed is better over others for someone new to the tortoise world. I am fully committed to care and provide for any type of tortoise so this doesn't necessarily have to be a key buying point for me. I'd like to think all animals develop their own little personalities so if one is better with interaction with us human folk over another, this would prioritise over the level of care/beginners points.

Thanks again for taking the time to welcome me. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I give you all the credit for doing your "Homework".