New and Considering a Large Tortoise

tortmummytobe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I just wanted to update y'all about our decision. We decided to go with a captive bred Sulcata hatchling after meeting both adult breeds in person. We have had Monty for almost a week now and couldn't be happier :) He is healthy, active, and very personable. My husband and I appreciate the advice and know in the future we have a wealth of information available to us with this wonderful forum!

j_diggs

Congrats! May I ask what made you decide on a sulcata? My wife and i are considering both as well.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice. My husband and I are still researching the two "species" (as I have been corrected) and will take all your input into consideration. We live in Tyler, TX (two hours from the Dallas area) for those wondering. I think what would really help us decide is meeting an adult leo and an adult sully in person. Anyone from TX here know where we might accomplish this? Thanks again :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Glad that you found what you like. And May I ask you to share some photo of this cutie??

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Whatever you decide I heartily second the idea to check them out as full grown adults before making this decision. Welcome to TFO

I completely agree with you. Read up on what special one/ones you like most and study their care. Its like with anything some are easier than others to tend to. But ALL Require Daily Care And Attention. Good Luck And Best Wishes. :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I just wanted to update y'all about our decision. We decided to go with a captive bred Sulcata hatchling after meeting both adult breeds in person. We have had Monty for almost a week now and couldn't be happier :) He is healthy, active, and very personable. My husband and I appreciate the advice and know in the future we have a wealth of information available to us with this wonderful forum!

Not posting pics is considered a felony LOL here on TFO. Lets see some pics of Monty. I do so love baby Sulcatas, they are so cute. Congratulations on your new little one. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Congrats! May I ask what made you decide on a sulcata? My wife and i are considering both as well.

I'm curious too! Sulcatas are my favorite species, but certainly not the best species for everyone. I'm always curious about why people choose whatever species they choose.